A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Simplicity 1280 Woven Top Drama

I saw good reviews for the Simplicity 1280 crossover cutout top.  I think I had too high expectations since the past two Butterick tops came out great.   I tried to make View B.

Simplicity 1280

I made a muslin and I'm not sure if it was the fabric or the pattern but it was a headache from the start.  Altering the pattern was a pain since the crossover was involved.  The neck biding was 3" too long, the sleeves were 3/4 length with elastic and that didn't work for me neither did the elastic waist.

Simplicity 1280

Elastic sleeve & waist

Back view


I went ahead and made another version.  What was I thinking?  I wasn't trilled with the top to begin with then I make another one!  Well, I was so disgusted with this top that I ended up throwing it into the trash.  And I let it sit there for almost a week.  A few days later I dug it out and put it on my dress form to haunt me.  Finally I asked Girl M. help me fit the top.  

I made this version sleeveless since I only had 1-1/2 yards of fabric.  Girl M.'s second set of hands helping with the fit was very helpful and the top ended up being salvageable and I'm glad it's not in the trash. But I am NOT making anymore from this pattern. EVER!

Simplicity 1280

Sleeveless crossover top

I'm moving onto another pattern, who needs this type of sewing drama?

Until next time................

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment