A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy 2019 & How Much Fabric Is Too Much?

Happy 2019!  365 Days of possibilities & New Adventures!

On a more somber note:

Hello, my name is Bonnie & I have a fabric stash problem.......

 Fabric is one of my Loves! The possibilities of something yet made.  An idea of what can be is what I think when I see fabric.  I love to feel fabric and to fold it nice and neat.  One of my terrible habits is buying fabric....lots and lots of fabric.

This year I plan to use up over half of my fabric without buying more.  Last year I spent almost $3,000.00 on fabric........that's a lot of money.......WOW!  I did sew numerous items last year.

Fabric
$2952.82
73%

Magazine
$32.95
1%
Threads
Notions
$694.02
17%
Dress form, tracing velum, zippers, interfacings
Others
$207.97
5%
DVD’s, Classes, lightbulbs
Patterns
$149.34
4%





Total
$4037.10




I snuck in the sewing room on Christmas afternoon and counted my fabric stash yardage.  Talk about an eye opener...........I estimate I have about 1,790 yards of fabric!  That's over a MILE long!

Knit Fabrics

Woven Fabrics
 This is my messy fabric area.  I just ignore it!

Sweater Knits, Faux Leathers & Suedes


That's a lot of fabric......................

75 yards of sweater knits...........I've only sewn one sweater knit top this year!

278.5 yards of ITY Knit and 227 yards of jersey knit fabric.  Can you tell it's my favorite?

295.5 yards of mixed woven fabrics

91 yards of Chiffon..........I hate sewing Chiffon fabric???

41 yards of Denim/Twill fabric

109 yards of Suiting fabric

So for 2019  I'm going to stay strong with my resolution for not buying ANY fabric,  I'm going to unsubscribe to all fabric store e-mails, not even a peak!, give quarterly updates on my stash busting, and be content to use what ALL I have in my shelves.  I think saying all this out-loud will keep me  accountable and give me strength. I even told Dear Hubby I wasn't going to buy any fabric!  Pray for me!

Of course I would like to save more money this year, and I'm hoping that not buying fabric will motivate me to put more money into our Christmas fund.

My other resolution to continue for 2019 is to loose 40 lbs more.  That will have me under 200 lbs.  My weight loss has slowed down but since I have changed my way of eating I am feeling so much better.  I am very strict with my diet and try to eliminate ALL flour, rice, potatoes, and sugar.  Even through ALL the holidays I have yet to knowingly cheat.  But honestly there is sugar is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!  I have to say no to all my "old" favorite foods but me feeling better is soooo worth it!


I bought this shirting fabric from FabricMartFabrics over the holidays. (My last fabric purchase, I promise!)  It's very nice and it has some selvage to selvage stretch.  I washed it as I usually do in cold water and medium heat to dry. But it came out so wrinkled.

Washed & Dried Wrinkled pile



 I tried ironing it and you can not even tell.  I'm not sure what to do with it!

After ironing

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Happy 2019!

Until next time..................

Bonnie

12 comments:

  1. I'm right there with us re the stash. However, I'm quite a bit older than you so I'm quite sure I'll never get it all sewn in this lifetime! But it brings me joy to look and fondle. I need to sew more this year. Re the fabric - maybe a skirt for summer??
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my fabric stash. Happy New Year & Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  2. First fabric collection/stash - yes I totally understand. But since I love fabric I'm not saying no buying. If I do that I will go crazy. I'm making shorter term goals. My current goal is not to purchase fabric until the end of March when I go to Sew Camp. After that I will make a new goal. I do plan to do another high school donation to share some fabric with new sewists. Then of course to sew from the collection, too!

    My suggestion for the fabric is to tye dye it and leave the wrinkles in. Try making a fun tunic for weekend wear. Or just contact Fabric Mart tomorrow, tell them what happened and ask for a refund.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking maybe summer type tops with the fabric. I plan on making it work. Right now Sparky the Fat Cat has claimed it as his personal igloo! At least it's being used and I will wash it again to see if it wrinkles even worse!

      Delete
  3. Kudos for having the fortitude (courage, bravery, endurance, resilience, backbone, spirit, grit) to count your fabric stash. I cannot and will not go there. Just suffice to say that I will continue in 2019 with my fabric diet that I was pretty successful with in 2018. Did I cheat? Heck yea! What is life without a little new fabric once in a while. I was just very very picky on what came in the house.

    Congrats also with the resolve of your food diet. That is fabulous.

    My suggestion for the wrinkled fabric is the same as Carolyn, find something that allows you to leave the wrinkles. Even if you wet and iron it to within an inch of its life and are pretty happy with it....as soon as you wash whatever you make....you start over again, which may not be so easy on a finished garment. I know I will NEVER do that again. Wrinkles that iron out easy are one thing but your (that) fabric is a whole different adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog & the kind comments. I need more cheerleaders like you! Happy New Year & Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  4. I understand your dilemma. Your goal is achievable. I had the exact same problem or worse. In 2015, I became overwhelmed by exuberant amount of fabric, I was so overwhelmed that I stop sewing because I did not know where to start taking control of my spending. I am happy to report that starting 2016 I made the same resolution you did and I'm happy to report that my fabrics and pattern buying went from 100% to 5% in 2018. You can do it, just set small goals to help you achieve the big goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what to do with the wrinkly fabric. Personally that would drive me nuts but around 10 years ago I had a brown tiered wrinkly fabric skirt which I loved heaps. Fabric stashes - such mixed feelings. I have pondered much on my ideal stash size. I am thinking about 1-2 years worth which for me is about 50 metres - not too little as I am a 50 minute drive from a fabric store but not enough to feel the guilt/ overwhelmed feeling. . I currently have three times that much . Good luck. I am sure you have lots and lots of lovely pieces of fabric to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skirt! Great idea! Three times as much fabric as me??? OMG you're my HERO! I just decided that since I have nowhere to put "new" fabric I really need to use it up to make more room. Happy New Year & Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  6. I have fabric in boxes and various spots around the house. Finally got shelves for Christmas so I can see what I have. Now to follow through and only buy with cash, locally. It helps cut way down on expenditure. Good luck. I am rooting for you.
    My husband and I have lost 30 pounds each (in 4 months) using The Obesity Code (Jason Fung) guidelines. A lot of things are too big, but I don't want to start re-making too soon, due to more on the horizon. Good luck on all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have the same wrinkly fabric. If it's the same, the warp or weft threads are metal like steel wool. I had a few... a white like yours.. I made to a top. I also had some heavier fabric and made pants but by the end of the day I had a rash on my legs from the 'steel wool' rubbing on the tops of my thighs. I also had one that I made a coat with - it's beautiful with a lovely sheen and I get compliments every time I wear it. You need to pick the right project for it. I have a reasonable stash and I have tried to not buy anything last year and I'm doing that this year too. I also work on the best not look philosophy and really only go to the fabric shop if I don't need anything. I have a small stash in comparison but I love that I can just make something without shopping.

    ReplyDelete