A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, January 4, 2019

Vogue 8959 Gray Wool Cape

This may have been the most expensive item I've ever sewn.  But sooooo worth it!  I can not believe I bought this pattern for $15.00 from the Vogue website in November, bought the fabric the same week, and sewed it up within a month!  Now that is progress!

Vogue 8959

I cut out a size XL and did not make a muslin.  The cape sewed up very easily and the directions are pretty simple.  I started out wanting View C, the long version but after realizing that it would drag the ground, I cut off 6" of the pattern.  The cape comes to mid/lower calf length and I like it.


This fabric has a luxurious, soft hand.  I love both the feel and the color.

Vogue 8959 Gray Wool Cape

I purchased some polyester/nylon lining and when I received it I did not like it at all.  I thought that this polyester charmeuse felt more luxurious like the gray fabric and made a better match.

Charmeuse lining


Back View


Arm slits

Arm Slits


I purchased the fabric from Fabric Mart Fabrics from a Flash Sale ad back in November.  I was NOT disappointed at all.  The fabric was beautiful.  The only thing was that it's very  H-E-A-V-Y!!  That's not a bad thing but the completed cape weighs in at 4.9lbs!

4yds @$6.99 = $27.96

4yds @ $3.50 = $14.00


Buttons were purchased at Hobby Lobby for $3.97 for the pair.  The total for the cape including the pattern purchase was $57.94.  I think that is the most expensive items I've ever sewn.  But I LOVE it!

Vogue 8959 Gray Wool Cape


I need to start some strength training in preparing to wear my wonderful, heavy, wool cape.........


UPDATE:

It was  finally cold enough for me to wear the cape for Christmas Sunday Service at Church.  I received so many compliments on the cape and it was very warm.

Chilly Sunday Church Service



I sewed this cape before January so I am not counting this towards my fabric stash use.  I also have another item that won't be counted.

Until next time..................

Bonnie

10 comments:

  1. Love this cape. I want to make one. I have way too many ideas; need to focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the cape but it's not Florida wear. Maybe we'll have another cold day this Winter.

      Delete
  2. It’s gorgeous!!! I love the combo of outer fabric and lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I don't know what's better the wool coating or the Charmeuse lining. I love the feel of both fabrics and together it's luxurious.

      Delete
  3. This looks terrific on you, and compliments your lovely salt and pepper hair (from another her has recently transitioned to gray hair)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I don't receive as many compliments on my hair anymore since "everyone" has gone gray but it's Mother Nature's mark on me.

      Delete
  4. Your cape looks lovely and warm. Gotta love those Fabric Mart sales on wool! I have hit them up a few times now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be the day for outer garments. Yours is the third I've seen in a row. I love your cape. Very classy looking on you and the lining is a great punch of interest, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cape. A very chic version of a coat. The money spent will be worth it - investment dressing . Hopefully it will last and look good for years.

    ReplyDelete