A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, January 18, 2019

Butterick 5649 Lavender Stretch Denim Skirt

Trying a different pattern with the start of the "New Year".  I thought the Butterick 5649 would be a good start in a denim/twill fabric.

I used 2 yards of lavender stretch bottom weight fabric.  It could be denim?  Since I had 7+ yards of it I had plenty to muslin the Butterick 5649 skirt pattern with. I'm making View "C".  I'm also liking view A & B but I'm worried since I'm hippy that the buttons will pull when I sit.  I'll have to think about these versions.

Butterick 5649
I added to both the waist and hips for my measurements and tried on the skirt before adding the waistband.  The skirt was HUGE!  It could have been from the stretch of the fabric.  After making two additional 1" darts in the back, taking an addition 5/8" from the center back seam, and 5/8" from the side seams the skirt fit is much better.

Side View
 I'm trying to learn to use my tripod for "real" photos in place of my usual dress form photos.

Front View

With a Top

I've made this skirt years ago.  I didn't remember the pockets.  They are nice and deep and lay flat.  The front fly and zipper sewed up nice.  I did shortened the skirt 3" and made a nice 1" hem instead of the 5/8" suggested.

After wearing the skirt I really like the fit.  The skirt didn't ride up or twist during the day.  I loved the pocket depth and I am thinking of making another version.

I found two pieces of jersey knit fabric that coordinated with the lavender.  A simple raglan sleeve shirt, short sleeve, basic.
.
Simplicity 7122 Top
Sewing is slow since I've been doing a little New Year's organization and clean-up of the sewing room.

Until next time.......................

Bonnie




1 comment: