A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, July 6, 2020

Butterick 3726 QVC Joan Rivers Buffalo Check Skirt

QVC had a cotton buffalo check skirt by Joan Rivers that caught my eye.  The skirts just say SUMMER and look so cool and comfortable.  I love checks and I love skirts so why not sew one up?

QVC Joan Rivers inspiration Skirt in black & white

 Red & White Inspiration

Blue & White Inspiration

The pattern I had that was similar in style was a vintage Butterick 3726.  The skirt might have turned out better but they didn't have the center front on the grain.  It wasn't the best looking skirt in the end and has been donated.  BUT, I haven't given up and if I find fabric similar to my inspiration I may re-make it.

Butterick 3726

Well, I didn't have any other plaid/check fabric except this green & white poly/cotton fabric.  I thought it would work..................!  Not really!  Kinda has a 4-H feeling to it.  Little too country bumpkin feeling for my liking.

Butterick 3726

Not too bad with my Rhapsody tank top

Kinda cute with Girl M's denim jacket

Not a fan of the skirt on me!

Back View

Side View
Maybe between the center front not being on grain and needing to possibly size down, the skirt just didn't bring me much joy. I also didn't like that there was a center front seam. I think I would make it again if I found the "perfect" fabric and work with pattern layout some.

Not happening
Girl M. was home for a moment so I had to ask her to take a few photos for me.  She was making jokes about the skirt and had me laughing!

Candid Shot
Well, you can't win them all and I'm a little disappointed with the end results of this skirt.  I am hopeful though that I would be able to find a nice buffalo check fabric that would work before Summer is over.

Until next time.............

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. You could make this without a pattern; just cut two large rectangles/front & back. and gather at the waist or make a casing and insert elastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I wish I had some check/plaid fabric that I liked. I keep peeking at my favorite Fabric Mart Fabrics but nothing has sparked for me lately. But I'm not giving up hope! Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  2. Bonnie - I love that you made an inspired by skirt and sad that it didn't work for you. Though FM doesn't carry a lot of gingham online, I have found some at Stylemaker Fabrics and fabric dot com. I hope you will try the skirt again!

    ReplyDelete