A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, November 4, 2019

Vintage Simplicity 7583 Denim Dress

I had a denim dress in mind.  Something with a kimono (easy) sleeve, belted, knee length.  I knew I had a pattern in my stash.  Finally, I found a vintage (1976) Simplicity 7583 that was perfect. 

Vintage Simplicity 7583

I made a muslin in the 18-1/2 size and realized the 16-1/2 will be perfect.  I had to do minor fitting with this pattern, ei (sway back adjustments & shoulder adjustment).  Working with a vintage pattern was lovely!

Muslin a little big
Look! Pockets!
Side view
Girl M said the muslin looks like a Nurse's uniform!

Back View
I was nervous about all the topstitching but I used Girl M's cheap Brother sewing machine on a long stitch and the stitching was beautiful!

Vintage Simplicity 7583 Denim Dress

Back View

Topstitching

More Topstitching
My clothes on the dressform are fitting a little snug.  I'm thinking a smaller (Medium) size dressform may be on my Christmas list this year.

Without Belt


Pocket!

Side View/Hidden Pocket

Back View

Simplicity 7583 Denim Dress
I can't wait to wear my Vintage new dress.

I'm off to sew something new!

Until next time..............

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your continued weight loss. You are looking terrific and I hope you feel better for it. The vintage dress is a classic style and you can't go wrong with denim. I've never seen a nurse dress like that at least in Austrralia. I love the older patterns too with their heavier duty tissue paper and markings. I recently made a nightie from a 70s pattern and they are just easier to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, vintage patterns are great. Thank you for the kind words and all the encouragement. Happy sewing!

      Delete
  2. That dress is perfect in denim and the topstitching is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress! I want one just like it. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete