A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, October 8, 2018

Sure-Fit Designs Seersucker Shift Dress

I've had this blue striped seersucker fabric on my mind for a while.  I thought a simple shift style dress with a shirt tail bottom hem, sleeveless with a yoke front.

I used Girl M's body blueprint for the dress and skirt, put them together, and added just 1/2" extra ease at the hips.  I made 1/2 width darts in both the front and back and kept her usual bust dart.

I made a yoke at 8" down from the shoulder and lowered the neckline in a gentle scoop.

I used 1-1/2" bias tape made from the same fabric.  I folded the bias tape in half, stitched to the neck and armholes and turned to the inside and stitched again.  The bias tape is hidden on the inside and the finished look is very nice.
Sure-Fit Designs Seersucker Shift Dress


I notice a few things after looking at the photos a little  closer.  The bust dart needs to be a little larger and stop about an inch farther from her bust point. 


Sure-Fit Designs Seersucker Shift Dress-Side View

Sure-Fit Designs Seersucker Shift Dress-Back view


I think that Girl M will get a lot of wear out of this dress.  It's cool, comfortable and very fashionable even though she doesn't know how old seersucker fabric has been around.

She gives this dress a 10!

Until next time....................

Bonnie




No comments:

Post a Comment