A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, October 15, 2018

Fall Plaid Matching Outfits

I made the Islander Sewing Systems #232 Hangin' Out Express Shirt for Girl M.'s friend AJ again.  This version is a long sleeve (my very first!).  Matching plaids was easy but the collar and the sleeves were killing me!

I admit it took me over a week to sew up this shirt.  I started out strong, got frustrated, got mad, got even madder, started a dress for Girl M, worked on the shirt, worked on the dress for Girl M, finished the shirt, then finished Girl M's dress.

Islander Sewing Systems 232 Hangin out express Shirt 

Back view

It was nice to have a back-up project when I got frustrated and in the end I really like his shirt and think I may make another one soon so I don't forget the tricks and steps.  But I would rather sew up a simple dress than make a man's shirt with 15 pattern pieces!

Girl M's dress is a self-drafted Sure-Fit Designs dress.  I used the same yoke and pattern from the seersucker dress.  I fixed the bust dart to a DD dart moved away from the apex to 1-1/2",  added a center front pleat and squared the bottom hem.  My favorite part is the sleeve detail.  I added a piece of plaid trim to the cuff and a tab with a working button.  With only scrap pieces left from AJ's shirt it was a fun challenge to incorporate the plaid into Girl M's dress.

The dress looks like a choir robe on the hanger but is very classy when Girl M. tried it on.

Add caption

The kids were happy with their items and can't wait to wear matching outfits to school!  I think I've started something!

Until next time.......................

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment