A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, December 6, 2019

Butterick 4865 Gray Sweatshirt Fleece Jacket

I do not have a light/medium weight jacket to wear.  I had 2 yards of 100% cotton sweatshirt fleece fabric that I thought would make a nice jacket for Florida winter.  I liked the length of View B with View A collar and one button closure. 

Easy pattern with minimal pattern pieces.  I cut out a size Large and had to take in many inches.

Butterick 4865

No one was home so I had to try to take a photo with the camera timer.  Just a warning.....

First try-on:  The sleeves!  OMG they are as long as my dress!  The sleeve circumference is huge too. 
First try-on

Back View
Second try on:  I removed 8" from the sleeve length (I might have mis-read the pattern cutting lines).  I also removed 1" from each sleeve seam for a total of 4".  I removed 1" from the side seam allowances too. 

I think the fit is much better, just roomy enough to wear a long sleeve top under and not feel constricted.
Try on #2

Back View
Another Fabric Mart Fabrics purchase (last year sometime).
$10.00 Jacket
I had the button in my stash.

Butterick 4865 Jacket

Stash button
I am really liking raglan sleeves.  Not only are they easier to sew in but they fit great too!

Raglan sleeve

Back View
I'm off to sew something new!

Until next time.............

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I appreciate seeing the before and after fitting photos. I didn't think the body looked big until I saw the after photo, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cooler weather is here & I may get to wear it soon. I still need practice taking pictures by myself, but it helped me to see the back of the jacket better.

      Delete
  2. I love using casual fabric to make something a little classier. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly, the sleeves were ginormous! I don't think you misread anything. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, I'm bad about skimming over the directions/layout then just sew away, works out most of the time..... But I would rather the sleeves be too big than too small!

      Delete