A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, March 25, 2019

Simplicity 1612 Red/Yellow/Black ITY Knit Dress

I'm officially done with doing private alterations.  I took up the hem 3" on the wedding dress and took in the netted sleeves and re-attached all 12 buttons.  The bride came and picked it up & left.  No offer of money, no nothing.............Wow!  So  I am DONE with alterations.  Except the Sheriff's office uniforms (they pay and the alterations are easy, patches & pants hemming).

Last week on YouTube Vivmom Sews talked about "selfish sewing".  She stated that it should be called "sewing for self" instead.  I really like that term better and I'm going to stick to it for a long while.  Besides sewing for Girl M but it's because she lives here!

So, I made Girl M her favorite pattern, the Simplicity 1612 dress in a fabric I didn't think she would care for.  It had been a few months since I last made this dress pattern for her and I know how bodies change.  I cut out a size 14 and lengthened the skirt to use all the fabric.  She loved the dress fabric and the dress but wanted it knee length.  Easy enough!

I keep calling this her ketchup & mustard dress!


Simplicity 1612

Back View

Girl M let me take a few pictures before Church.  She loves the dress and couldn't wait to wear it.  That's all this Momma can ask for.

Simplicity 1612

Back View
 Dear Hubby gifted me a new camera for my Birthday.  It's really nice and I'm learning to use all the features.  He took a photo of the full moon last week.  Wow, what a picture!

March Full Moon
I'm off to sew something new................

Until next time............

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed a post about you doing alternations on a wedding dress, so I don't know how you came to do that, but holy cow, you did all that work for the bride and she didn't even pay you? Or offer a gift card, lunch, something? How very rude of her! I agree, stick to sewing that pays or that is for you or your close family and friends. People don't appreciate the years of learning that goes into knowing how to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne for the pep talk! She's not my first non-payer. I just need to be a selfish sewer for a while and I'll get over it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh you'll have to share deets on your camera. My husband and I always talk about buying a real camera...if nothing else to take pics of the moon! :)

    I loved the dress on the form but oh my word! It looks SO GREAT on her!

    I would say that I "can't believe" that about the bride but...unfortunately, I can :( People can be terrible sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning to use the "new" camera. It's a Kodak PixPro AZ401. Lots of pictures of my dogs! LOL! Thanks for the kind words & stopping by my blog.
      Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  3. Bonnie, how pretty GirlM looks in her dress. What a great job you did! Quite the young lady. I know how it is to offer sewing services and not get paid. If you do decide to sew for others again, I'd say that the thing to do is establish up front that the labor isn't free, and tell the "customer" how much you'll do the work for...and don't shortchange yourself. Your time and labor are valuable. If they don't want to pay, they can find someone else (who will charge more) to do the work for them. Unfortunately, people will take advantage if you let them.

    ReplyDelete