A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, April 23, 2018

Formal Gala Night

Dear Hubby and I attend our local State College Annual Fundraising Scholarship Gala.  I had planned on making a evening gown but life gets in the way and then sewing a formal dress just didn't spark an interest to me.  I had a navy gown I had worn before to a wedding that I planned on wearing but I stopped by a local Ross store and there was this navy gown for $17.99.  How could I pass it up?


My bra strap shows through on the top part of the bodice lace.  So I made it work by inserting a nude knit fabric behind the lace.  It worked perfect for my modesty.


I think the nude fabric looks natural.  I stitched along the outer edges of the lace panels and the stitching is almost invisible.  I'm really liking this dress.




We are not great selfie takers so this is as good as it gets.  His picture taking always has me laughing!


Dear Hubby looked so handsome in his suit.  It's not everyday do I get him to dress up.



We are only told so much information prior to these type of events.  The event did have a theme of Havana Nights.  Our entire table was dressed black tie for this event but many others were dressed a lot more casual in Cuban style dress.  The ladies dresses with full skirts and lots of polka dots and florals were beautiful.  Many guys were dressed in khakis and casual Cuban style shirts.  I think dressing with the theme could have been a lot more fun!

We had a photo taken while there.  Not my favorite but a memory photo.

Formal Photo

The Administrative Department.  Dear Hubby & I on the left, Major & his beautiful wife in the center and Chief & his wife on the right.


Our Sheriff and his wife.  He reminds me of my Grandpa so much. 



I'm getting things together to work on dresses for the upcoming Kentucky Derby Gala.

Wish me luck..............

Until next time.............

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. The dress is lovely on you, and I really like what you did with underlining the lace areas. I deplore the current trend of showing off your bra in backless tops and see through lace. It's nice to see a real lady with class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - this dress is stunning! You did a wonderful job on this dress!

    ReplyDelete