A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, January 24, 2020

Butterick 5526 White Button Down Shirt

I have wanted a crisp white button down shirt in my wardrobe for years.  I finally made time to make one.  I made a muslin first from a tan printed cotton fabric.  I used Butterick 5526 View D.

Butterick 5526

Butterick 5526

I cut a size 16 and ended up having to take in 1/4" from all the seam allowances.  I also made a sway back adjustment after making the muslin.

Muslin

The sleeves seemed a little large so I trimmed them an additional 1/2" at the seam allowances.  Matching up to the pattern to the original, my sleeve size was less than a size 14!

Side View

Back

Button Placement

Slee ve & Cuff


My final shirt was made from a white rayon/cotton/lycra stretch sateen suiting fabric from, of course, Fabric Mart Fabrics.  I like the stretch of the fabric and the thickness keeps modesty in check but the thickness also made sewing the collar very tricky!

Butterick 5526


Front Placket

Princess seams

Sleeve & Cuff

Back View

I am so happy to finally have a white button down shirt in my wardrobe but more that it fits!

Until next time..................

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And the shirt as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shirt but, if I may kindly suggest, the should seams in the back need to be trimmed which will remove the wrinkles. I have the same issue when fitting my shoulders. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone needs a nice white button down. And, nope I dont have one and have scolded myself many times over for this but something else always gets my attention. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete