A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, March 16, 2018

Simplicity 1612 & McCall 6074 Dresses

Since it's Girl M's Sweet Sixteenth Birthday I will post just about her. 

Two new dresses for Girl M.  Simplicity 1612 View A again.  I'm thinking I might just make me a dress out of this pattern! I thought green would look good with Girl M's hair color.  The only green fabric in my stash was this pique knit.  I had never sewn with pique knit.  It cut easily and sewed up beautifully.  It had a 2-way stretch which I didn't think about until she tried on the dress.  I could have given her just a little more circumference in the chest area.  But she said it was ok.

Simplicity 1612 Green pique Knit Dress

Back View

Simplicity 1612 Green Pique Knit

$2.00 dress!

McCall 6074

I bought the McCall 6074 pattern a few years back in hopes to make myself something.  Girl M got the first version.  It was an easy sew and she liked the fabric print I picked out for her.

I trimmed 1/2" from the neckline and used fold over elastic.  The armholes I just folded and top-stitched.
McCall 6074 ITY Knit Dress
 I lengthened the pattern by 2" for modesty's sake.  She never even mentioned it.

Back View

 Next time I will lower the elastic by 5/8".   She even like the way the print is split light on one side, dark on the other.  I could have turned the fabric print the other way but it wouldn't have given her much stretch around her.  But as long as she likes it, it's ok with me.

Waist Gathers

Simplicity 6074

$7.98 Dress
I'm getting dress jealous so I'm going to have to make me a dress next!!

Until next time................

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Love that first dress, I made it long ago twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look great on her, but I think the print one is especially cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both dresses, they fit her well.

    ReplyDelete