A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, May 6, 2013

Butterick See & Sew 4957 Dress Pattern

I think I have finally found the "PERFECT" dress pattern.  I am thinking that the Butterick See & Sew 4957 Pattern meets all of the ideas I have for the perfect dress.  Easy, simple darts in the bodice, skirt with a little flare, sleeveless, choice of v-neck or scoop bodice top.

Butterick See & Sew 4957 Dress Pattern

I made my usual fittings, bust adjustment and increase for both waist and hips.  I did really good but I forgot out lowering the bust darts until I tried it on.  The fit is perfect except the bust darts.  I fixed it on my pattern pieces.

Butterick 4957 Dress Pattern sewplus.blogspot.com
 I used a full size fitted sheet for my muslin.  I looked on the tag from the thrift shop and I paid a whole $2.00 for it.  Not a bad deal for a muslin.

I wan't thinking about the line placement of the fabric when I cut it out.  I now see that the skirt and the bodice white lines don't match up.  Oh well, I'll just wear this one around the house.

Butterick 4957 Dress Pattern sewplus.blogspot.com
 I just added a grosgrain ribbon at the waist for a little extra color and to help disguise my match-up mistake.

Butterick 4957 Dress Pattern sewplus.blogspot.com
 Back view of the zipper, It looks kinda flat on the dress form.  I am going to add just a 1/2" more to the hip areas.  It fits but there isn't too much wiggle room.  And believe me I have a lot of wiggle.....

Butterick 4957 Dress Pattern sewplus.blogspot.com
Inside the back of the dress.  I lined it with a white sheet I had in my scrap bin.  I took my time and under-stitched the lining, pressing and pressing and more pressing and it turned out beautiful.  It's so smooth and matches up perfect.  I did have to hand sew the lining to the waist but I watched TV with the family and just stitched away.

Overall I give this pattern a 9.5!  I want to make it in a black satin or something similar to wear on very special occasions but I also think that it would look so cute in a large red check to wear to a picnic.  Maybe even in a yellow cotton with navy piping, or maybe even in a purple floral print cotton.  Oh, how I have a million ideas for this pattern!

I hope to get going on another version of this pattern soon.  The kid's are finishing up their school year and it seems like I have an awards banquet every other day.

Until next time......

Bonnie




No comments:

Post a Comment