A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, July 11, 2016

Simplicity 7243 White Ponte Knit Princess Sheath Dress

I picked a Bob Mackie navy and white jacket from the back of my closet so make something to wear to go with it.

The jacket measured 30" in length and in the Dressed to Kill Gently book by Peggy Sagers it says to keep the jacket in proportion to my body my skirt/dress needs to be only 10" showing below the bottom of the jacket.

I thought a princess sheath dress would fit the bill perfect.

I've made the Simplicity 7243 pattern many times in the past here and here and I thought why re-draft a pattern when I have a perfect fit one already.

I did change it up a little by making the dress sleeveless, used facings for the neckline and the armholes, shortened it to 40" and top stitched the princess seams.

Simplicity 7243 White Ponte Knit Sheath Dress

Princess seams topstitched

Neck facing

Armhole facings
This is such a great fit on me and I get many compliments when I wear this pattern.  It's a perfect dress to wear with the Bob Mackie Navy jacket I've had in the back of my closet for a few years.

I hope I do Bob Mackie proud.  I'll be wearing it to Church this coming Sunday.

Bob Mackie Jacket

$10.00 Dress

I also made a slip from the same pattern.  I just lowered the neckline and the armholes and shortened the length by 2".

Princess seam slip
I serged all seams with three threads.  The smaller seams helped the seams stretch.

Slip

Slip

Slip bottom hem
This fabric was great to work with.  It sewed up like a dream and with the stretch the fit is great under the dress.
$3.98 slip

I will be making more slips from this fabric in the future for sure.

Until next time...................

Bonnie

7 comments:

  1. That looks like a dress that will go with so many jackets & sweaters this summer. And good idea on making the slip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The slip is great since I've made this dress 4 or 5 times, now I don't have to hunt for a slip that won't show!

      Delete
  2. The jacket is beautiful, the outfit is a lovely classic look. The white dress is perfect for summer, and you could match the blue and make one for winter and have a completely different look. With the Simplicity pattern, did you start with an upper bust measurement? Love the slip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, I did start my fitting with the upper bust measurement. I had to do a few alterations ie: full bust adjustment, hip increase and sway back adjustment. But it was worth the extra effort. I love this pattern.

      Delete
  3. I am going to give this pattern a try it is a style I have been looking to add to my wardrobe and looks like a good one to practice fitting on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is pretty and the way you styled it with the jacket is sassy. Like you, I have to do the same adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the chuckle! Sassy! Thank you for the kind comments and stopping by! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has to make pattern adjustments.

      Delete