A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, September 26, 2014

McCall's 4617 1975 Carefree For Knits Pattern

Vintage patterns are the BEST!  They are simple and usually with minimum pattern pieces.  I have been wanting a draped cowl neck top.  After a few evening of searching the internet and looking through all my patterns a few times, I decided that the McCall's 4617 was a perfect start.

McCall's 4617 Carefree Pattern for Knits www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 Carefree Pattern for Knits

ITY Knit Double Knit Fabric www.sewplus.blogspot.com
ITY Knit Double Knit Fabric 
I thought that the background fabric would make a nice cardigan style jacket and the two ITY knits would make nice cowl neck tops.  I purchased the fabric at www.fabricmartfabrics.com.  My favorite shopping place!
 


I thought that a muslin was a must for this project.  A perfect fit T-shirt!
I used the front pattern and made adjustments for a cowl neck.  I used the Threads magazine post. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/33848/how-to-create-a-draped-cowl-neckline/page/all.


 The directions were easy and the drape was beautiful.  The only thing was it was really really low!

I'm keeping this muslin and wearing it with a tank under.  I just love the drape of it!

McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top  www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top-muslin

McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top  www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top-Front view

McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top  www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top-Back View

McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top  www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 Knit to draped cowl neck top-With Cardigan
I can't just make one when I really like a pattern so I had to whip up a second one.  And I changed the drape of the cowl neck from a 10" drape to a 13" drape.  It's a little low, but not too bad. 

McCall's 4617 ITY Knit draped cowl neck top www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 ITY Knit draped cowl neck top-Front View

McCall's 4617 ITY Knit draped cowl neck top www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 4617 ITY Knit draped cowl neck top-With Double Knit Cardigan

We are going to a wedding tonight.  I am wearing a dress I bought>>>>>>>>>>>>I can't believe I found a dress off the rack!  Will try to get a photo.  

I am trying to get to the last two pieces of the fall wardrobe but pretty other things jump in front!  I found that if I sew what talks to me, it goes so much better.

Until next time.................


Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment