A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Sonia Estep Design Mandy Dress

 I tried another Indy Pattern designer, this time it was Sonia Estep Designs Mandy Dress.  A knit dress with a waist side tie, grown on sleeves and above the knee length. 





I was all over the board with my sizes.  I measured a size 12 top/bust, 18 waist & hips.  That's a BIG difference in sizes.  I cut a straight size 18 for my muslin and the hips fit great, the waist needed an additional 1/2" taken in and everything above the waist was HUGE! The neckline was very open and low.   I had to make my usual sway back adjustment and lengthened the skirt of the dress 3".  That's why we make muslins right?

The muslin fabric was a matte jersey knit in eggplant that felt like I was wearing sandpaper.

I basted a size 12 top and could not get my arms into the armholes!  Those thick biceps I have!

A hot Mess of a dress!

Sway back adjustment needed

Neckline too wide & low


Just huge above the waist

A little better



Getting closer

Almost there!


Raised neckline

My second version is from a plum ITY knit with more drape than the sandpaper jersey.  I wish I had enough fabric to try out making two back pieces but I just could not eek it out.  

So Pretty on my dressform!

I raised the tie that is sewn into the side waist area by 1".  It helps to make the tie look lifted and the front drape a little better across my belly area.

I raised the neckline 2" and added 1" to the shoulders at the inner neckline to give a little more fabric in my chest area.  Modesty!

I cut the back piece on the fold eliminating the center back seam.  

Adding the 3" to the length made the dress hit me at my knee.  Perfect!

Satisfied enough

Need Spanx!

No overly thrilled but happy with from what I started with

Overall I like this dress and think that a print fabric may be a better choice.  I am not a fan of solid colors.  I think prints hide lumps & bumps a little better.

I'm not sure that this dress will get worn, but if I make it in a print I might just wear it.

You can't win them all, right?

Until next time..............

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment