A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Simplicity 7243 Tan Chevron Princess Seam Ponte Knit Dress

I'm back to sewing my tried and true TNT dress pattern.  I tried to mix and match a few of my ponte knit fabric for a new dress.

First Choice: Solid brown with chevron print = "no, didn't like"
Ponte knit fabric
 Second Choice: Black with chevron print = "Better, but I have so much black already"
Ponte Knit Fabric
Third Choice: Tan with chevron print = "Liking a lot"

Ponte Knit Fabric
 I use a vintage clothes dryer to hang my cut pattern pieces to keep them organized and since I cut two dresses out at once, it keeps the pattern pieces separated.

Organized pattern pieces
 When I sew with ponte knits, one of my favorite tools is Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 in 1/2".  I use it to fuse sleeve hems, neck bands and sometimes the hem of the dress.

Lite Steam-A-Seam 2
 I snip every inch or two on the paper of the steam-a-seam so that it will curve around the neckline.  Then I finger press it onto the fabric before using the iron.  Peel off the backing then turn the neckline and finger press again to make sure there are no wrinkles.  Once everything looks ok, I'll press with the iron and stitch down.

Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 neckline ponte knit


Pressing Steam-A-Seam 2 onto neck edge
 Neckline turned down and finger pressed.


Ponte knit neck edge turned down lite steam-a-seam 2
 Neck line stitched and finished.


Ponte knit neck line stitched
 This dress goes together so easy.  I love that I can mix and match prints and solids and that it's so comfortable to wear.
Simplicity 7243 Ponte knit dress
 Of course any dress with pockets is a great dress!


Pockets!


Side View


Back View


Pocket Close-up
 This is probably my 5th version of this dress and I don't think that I will ever tire of it.  I have a million options in my head for this pattern.

Simplicity 7243 Tan Chevron Princes Seam Ponte Knit Dress
 This dress only took 1 yard of the Deep Almond Ponte Knit and 1.25 yards of the Chevron Ponte Knit.  The fabric totaled $10.42 + $1.00 in notions for a total of $11.42! That's not too bad for a great fitting one of a kind dress!


$11.42 Ponte Knit Dress
I have a second dress cut out ready to sew, I am hoping to get to it before the weekend so that my sewing area is clear and cleaned before I start my next project.

Until next time...................

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment