A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Chevron Jersey Knit is NOT my friend!

I've recently purchased 5 yards of a multi-colored chevron print tissue like jersey knit fabric from www.fabric.com.  Let's just say that I now know why this fabric was on the clearance rack!

I love the color of the chevron print. I also thought that this thin fabric would make a nice dress for the hot humid summer weather we have here in h-o-t Florida! 


Chevron Jersey Knit Dress


Chevron Jersey Knit Dress www.sewplus.blogspot.com
Chevron Jersey Knit Dress-Wonky Lines

Every time I touched this fabric it would grow.  Stretch out, get all wonky, making me crazy.  I did my best to line up the chevron lines when I cut the fabric out.  But as you can see, it was not good.  If you tilt your head a little to the left, it looks ok......


Once I finished the neck line, it was so stretched out that it looked ridiculous.  I remembered a tutorial I saw a few months back in which to add a piece of elastic between the stitch lines to gather the neck a little.  I had used steam a seam 2 hem tape to fold over the neck edge making inserting elastic impossible.  I just folded over the neck edge again and inserted the elastic into the casing that I made.  Great idea I thought.  I tried on the dress and adjusted the elastic, sewed it together, then closed up the casing seam, tried it on again, and it's almost a choker!

Chevron Jersey Knit Dress


Chevron Jersey Knit Dress-Neckline

Besides the elastic around my throat, I let the dress hang for a day to stretch some more so that I could hem it.  Not too bad. 

My biggest problem with this whole mess of a chevron is that I really like the feel of the fabric, but the slanted zig zags drive me C-R-A-Z-Y! 

I think I might have to make another Muse Natalie dress to get my mojo going again!

Until next time.................

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment