A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

McCall's 8487 Skirt

There is something wholesome about vintage patterns.  They are simple and true.  They are my favorite patterns to sew from and the McCall's 8487 is no exception.  The skirt came together so easy.  I bought this fabric from www.fabricmartfabrics.com some time last year and it's has been hid on the shelf.  It's a cotton stretch in a linen color.  I figure I could use all the stretch I could get.  The only piece that made me think was the lay out for the waistband.  I didn't wan't stretch with  that, so I laid it out perpendicular to the selvage.  Turned out perfect!

McCall's 8487 Skirt www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 8487 Skirt

I made the Simplicity 1197  dress with the same type pleat in the front but starts at the waist, I din't like it so much, so I was a little skeptical but I went ahead and made the front pleat skirt version.  Luckily the pleat starts much lower and I like that it looks so summery and casual and modest.

The pattern did call for a 2-1/4" hem along the bottom and I serged around the bottom and only hemmed 1-1/2".  I like the little extra length.
McCall's 8487 Front Pleat Skirt Pattern www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 8487 Skirt Front View-Pleat

McCall's 8487 Front Pleat Skirt Pattern www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 8487 Skirt Pleat


McCall's 8487 Front Pleat Skirt Pattern www.sewplus.blogspot.com
McCall's 8487 Skirt Back View
The fabric does need some serious pressing.  I ironed the pieces as I went but it may need to be starched too.

I had enough fabric left over to make 8 luncheon napkins with a rolled hem with my new serger.  

Rolled hem cloth napkins www.sewplus.blogspot.com
Rolled hem cloth napkins

I have shelves full of fabric and I need to get serious on using it up.  I have always searched a pattern I like then went shopping in the fabric corner.  I think I'm going to mix things up a bit and go in blindly and just pick a fabric then go find a pattern to go with it. (I'm wild like that sometimes).  

fabric stash what to sew next www.sewplus.blogspot.com
Fabric Stash
I'll let you know what's on the agenda for the next project soon.

Until next time........................

Bonnie



No comments:

Post a Comment