A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, May 29, 2020

Butterick 6567 The "SAD" Dress

I was inspired by Following the Thread  to sew up the Butterick 6567 Dress.  Curves, pockets, kimono style sleeves, what's not to love? 
Butterick 6567

Line Drawing
Fabric suggestions were a pique.  Little did I realize it is different than pique knit.  Thanks Cheryl!  The pink pique knit was fine for a muslin though.  But I don't think it will be a wearable muslin.
I sewed up a size 18 and the dress ended up being quiet large on me.
Pique or Pique Knit?

Pink Pique Knit closeup
Nightgown? House dress? Around the pool dress?  Nope, donate pile!

Sad pink pique knit dress


Too big?
The pockets seemed way too low on my hips.

Pajamas?
I think the curved seams at the sides to the lower hip pockets make the dress look sad. I'm also not a fan of that center front pleat at my belly button.  Uggh!

Sad, Sad, Sad
I did some altering of the pattern with suggestions from my Mom.  Hi MOM!  I made a sway back adjustment and removed length from the waist, helping to bring the pockets up a little more.  Much better but still not a fan.

A little better but still not happy

Kinda reminds me of a maid suit from The Help.


Maid's uniform?

Uggh!

I added a little lace trim to the neckline and pearl buttons in hoping I would like the dress more.  Nope!  Now I look like Thelma Harper from Momma's Family. 

Thelma Harper?

Back View

On the brighter side I loved the sleeve and the sleeve band.  Very nicely done & I think I will use this technique on other tops.

Sleeve band, my favorite part
The curve and pockets on this dress is very similar to Girl M's scrub top pattern Simplicity 1020.  I preferred the Simplicity directions for the pockets and side panels.

Pocket

I did wear the dress one day but I just didn't care for it at all.  I've donated it to the thrift store in hopes that someone else would love it.

Maternity dress?

Back view

Side view

Pocket

I know I can"t win them all but I can do better, I've put this pattern in the donate to a friend pile and I hope if she makes it up we'll still be friends!

Until next time................

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but your comments and photos gave me a good laugh when I really needed it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't go to the store and have everything you try on work for you so why should this be any different. I always have to remind myself that not everything I make works.

    ReplyDelete