A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, May 1, 2020

Butterick 4242 Dress & Jacket

Some patterns just call to you. This Butterick 4242 pattern has called to me for a while.  I loved the kimono style sleeve, princess dress.  Easy shaping and no lining.  The dress sewed up quickly and I put the invisible zipper in perfect!

I sewed up a straight size 18 and ended up removing 1/2" from the seam allowances from the shoulder to the waist all the way around.  Probably made it a size 14 or 16 above the waist.  But not being sure what size I am I thought it's better to be too big than too small.

Butterick 4242

I used a Purple 100% Poly Floral Paisley Jacquard fabric by Famous Dress Designer I purchased at Fabric Mart Fabrics.com.  $4.55/Yard.  The fabric has a beautiful hand and sewed and pressed nice.


Butterick 4242 Dress $13.65

Back View

For the jacket I cut out a size 14 at the shoulders and bust and a size 18 at the waist and hips.  The sleeves were also a size 14!  The jacket has a great fit and I love the shawl collar.


I used a Black Poly/Rayon/Spandex Double Weave Stretch Suiting by Ralph Lauren from FabricMartFabrics.com.  $2.99/yard

Butterick 4242 $5.98 Jacket
I'm off to sew something wonderful!

Until next time..............

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. What a great looking outfit. Hope you have somewhere to wear it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great. classic pattern, just the sort of outfit I liked to wear to work. Your choice of colors and fabrics are perfect too! You will look chic and put together, and get a lot of use out of this outfit once life returns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that dress! Fabric is perfect and jacket makes it really sing!

    ReplyDelete