Butterick 5764 Knit Maxi Dress
Self teaching is a scary thing sometimes. I wish I lived in a larger city where I could take sewing classes from a professional. Instead I use the Professional Internet! I remember learning to sew and I would have to go to the library to check out a book to learn or understanding a sewing step. Now all I have to do is GOOGLE it!
I'm still not comfortable with sewing with knits but at least my latest project turned out pretty good. It is going to get a lot of wear and I think I will look for more knit patterns but just not with the cross over front or the wrap front style. Being busty I always have trouble with gaping. I know I'll find the perfect pattern out there soon.
The Butterick 5764 Maxi Dress was easy to sew and the directions were simple. I heard that the facings on knit dresses were useless but since this one had a wrap front I thought that the facing would give it some stability. I didn't use facing on the arm holes. I just turned the seam allowance under and stitched. They turned out pretty nice.
I did a lot of test sewing on scrap fabrics to adjust tension, test needles and also to test interfacing. I'm glad I had some scraps left over.
Knits patterns seem to run a little big. I did not make any adjustments to the pattern. I usually have to do a FBA (full bust adjustment) and a pretty good size hip increase. But I just used the pattern as is and cut the skirt fabric a size larger.
I like to use washers in place of pins when I cut out my pattern. I had to use washers to keep the fabric from pulling off the end of the table.
I saw a tip to use clothespins to keep your fabric together. What a genius idea!
I serged the facing on the unnotched side and sewed to the dress front with a regular machine.
Sewing the bottom hem. I tried to use my twin needle but decided to just to a regular single stitch.
I'm trying to decide if I want to work on a shirt dress next or the bolero jackets or a top. So many choices!\
Until next time......