A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Saturday, February 16, 2013

McCall's 3735

I've always loved vintage patterns, sometimes the pattern pieces are easier and simple, nothing too complicated.  I have been looking for a simple summer sundress.  Being a plus size I have to wear a bra so I have to be careful with the top & straps.  I found this McCall's 3735 pattern in my stash.  It's a 1988, I know that's really not a vintage but when I think about it, I was only in the 8th grade when this pattern came out!
McCall's 3735 dress pattern

I really don't know why I kept this pattern, maybe for a swimsuit cover-up in "B", but I'm not sure.  View "C" caught my eye because it had pockets and a gathered type waist.

Well, I think this may be my "Summer Staple Dress".  It's ALOT better than the picture!

I did make a muslin that I'll wear around the house.  The chest area is a little big, not too much but enough that in the final I took in 1/2".  I also shortened the final dress.  (A little too much but I fixed that too!)  In the final dress I cut the front piece on the fold so there would not be a center seam.  I didn't like it going down the middle of my chest.

I loved the way the belt attached to a piece of elastic under the bust then tied in the back.  This dress has pockets that are hidden in the side seams.  I really like them.

I made the dress as directed for the muslin with a neck facing and facing for the armholes.  I did not like the armhole facings at all.  The final dress has bias binding made from the same fabric for the armholes and I made the neck facing as directed.  Much smoother finish and not as fussy.

McCall's 3735 dress pattern gingham blue check country summer

I added a 4" piece of bias cut fabric and piping along the bottom.  I did cut the dress a little too short.  As long as I was standing up it was fine, just at my knees, but if I were to bend over or sit it was way up in the back.  I think I did a marvelous job of fixing my oops!

I also think that shortening the dress made it look a little more modern.  The muslin had the dress mid calf, which was more like a night gown.

McCall's 3735 dress pattern gingham blue check side view

Side view

McCall's 3735 dress pattern gingham blue check back view
Rear View

I think I have gotten my sewing mojo back so I hope to be back to posting more sewing again.

Until next time......

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment