A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, March 2, 2018

Serendipity Studio Shift Dress Copy

I have loved Serendipity Studio patterns.  Maybe it's her choice of fabrics and mixing of prints but  her patterns always seem to catch my eye.  I especially like the #151 Mia shift dress.  You can see more here.

These are my favorite versions:

Serendipity Studios #151 Mia Shift Dress

Serendipity Studio #151 Mia Shift Dress
I couldn't bring myself to spending the $12.50 + shipping for this pattern.  So I went digging in my 650+ pattern stash.  I knew I had to have something similar in there that would work for a base.

I started with the Simplicity 7964 pattern and did a few pattern alterations.


Simplicity 7964

I cut out a size 16 since there was so much ease.  I added a bust dart to keep the dress from looking too much like a tent.  I also narrowed the flare of the skirt.

My muslin is from a silky polyester type fabric.  It seems to attract a lot of static.  The Simplicity pattern had a v-neck and I just made due with a simple scoop neck that came out as a crazy boxy scoop, I've since altered the pattern neckline to something a little more closer to the Serendipity style pattern.
Simplicity 7964 Muslin

Back view
I'm still working on taking photos of myself.  I can't seem to find a surface at the right height/distance that doesn't make me look like a mushroom or a Sasquatch!

Simplicity 7964 Serendipity Shift Dress Copy


Back View


Bust Dart

Bust View
I used 2" bias binding, folded in half, sewn to the wrong side of the neckline & armhole then turned to the right side and stitched.  I've never done binding on clothing this way and I really like the way it turned out.  I think it's a great way to have a more durable neck & armhole style and a change from a facing.

Neckline


Maybe this isn't the best style for my shape but it's a cool and comfortable dress and it's a woven!  I like the ease of just slipping it on and going and the modesty of the neckline.  It seems that most patterns have revealing necklines! 

I'm happy with the pattern hack and I think I'm going to make something for Girl M to surprise her!

Until next time.............

Bonnie


5 comments:

  1. You got the neckline just right! Great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! I love the fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect hack. Love the fabric you chose and the contrast binding is such a neat detail. Simple shifts work so well. And thank you for photographing you wearing it. You are getting better every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I like binding necklines like that too.

    ReplyDelete