A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, January 8, 2018

Kwik Sew 3915 Knit Top Muslin & v1

The Kwik Sew 3915 knit top caught my eye a few years ago.  I really liked the neckline style.  I had such high hopes for this pattern since there were so many great reviews on Pattern Review

Kwik Sew 3915

But..................

After measuring myself and comparing my measurements to the pattern, I cut a XL at the shoulders and bust adding my usual increase at the bust and hip area.

Pattern alterations prior to muslin:

  • I used my knit armhole template and sleeve pattern. 
  • Added a 2" bust dart.


Kwik Sew 3915 Muslin
 The shoulders were too wide, the sleeve seam started about 2" down my arm. 

Shoulder view
The bust dart helped with shaping but was above my apex point.

Bust Dart
When sewing up my muslin I didn't like that the fabric loops for the buttons make the collar seam so thick on the front.  Sewing through so many layers of fabric made my machine very unhappy.  The neckband seemed loose and floppy.  Where the crossover meets along the front the collar pulls the shirt fabric, making a diagonal pull line.

Button loops

After sewing up my muslin I still needed further fitting adjustments.
  • Shoulders too wide.  Removed 1" with a dart at the shoulder, tapering to nothing at bust and back area.
  • Removed an additional 1/2" at side seams!
  • Lowered bust dart 2".
  • I had to re-draft my TNT sleeve pattern.  It was huge on me!  I removed 1/2" along the seam line and another 1/4" below the elbow.
  • Cut a Large for the neckband.
  • Didn't use the back/shoulder interfacing piece.
  • Didn't add the button loops.


Pattern alterations
I received many compliments when I wore Version #1.  I really love how modest the neck line is.  Classy but not revealing.

Kwik Sew 3915 Black floral ITY knit top

Shoulder fixed

Bust dart

$7.20 Top

I really like how this floral print top goes with many of the TNT knit skirts I have in my closet.  I think that this top will be a wardrobe staple.

Kwik Sew 3915 Black floral ITY knit top with tan skirt

with Gray skirt

With white skirt
With brown half circle skirt


Necklace borrowed from Girl M.

I am thinking I have one more fitting alteration to do.  And it just came to me last night after I cut out Version #2.  I need to make a round back adjustment.  My cowl/drape neck tops slip to the back while wearing.  I always thought it was from the cowl/drape in the front but now I think it's because I need a little more length at my upper back.  

My hair looks almost completely white!


Until next time.......................

Bonnie



2 comments:

  1. I truly love this top on you! The fabric colors look great with your hair and skintone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I've worn it twice now and received a compliment both times. It must be a good match.

      Delete