A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Gala Date Night & Upcoming Formal

Dear Hubby & I attended our local Chamber of Commerce Annual Gala this past week.  I think we dressed appropriately but I should know that the work "Gala" means semi-formal to formal.

I wore my Bob Mackie jacket and top with my TNT ponte knit slim skirt, black tights and heels.  I don't think we were over-dressed nor were we under-dressed.

I ordered Dear Hubby this navy sport coat from JCPenney back in October when he was promoted thinking a good jacket would be needed.  He's worn it three times already!  JCPenney had another sale last week on suits so ordered him a black 3-piece suit.



While at dinner Dear Hubby's Chief informed us that the second week in April we are attending a formal dinner at the State College and then in May we have Derby Day.  Oh MY GOODNESS!  I don't have a thing to wear!

Formal wear scares me the most.  I only have one must have, I have to wear my regular bra so no strapless, one strap or thin straps.  Sleeves are negotiable but would be nice.  I would like a skirt with a little fullness and length being floor length is good too.  I prefer a more modest look but I don't want to look too old.

What about color?  Black or a color?  OMG!  I'm glad I have until April.............OMG! I only have until April!

AND..................for Derby Day I have to wear a HAT!  I've never worn a HAT!  A hat will smash my hair!  I need a paper bag!

Any suggestions or advise I really could use it!

Until next time..................

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. Several to look at: Burda 6583; Simplicity 1249 or 2442; Vogue 1535, 8766 or 7963; McCalls 7083; Butterick 6412 or 5983. Good luck. It'll be fun to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great patterns! And you did the legwork for me too! I'm really liking the Simplicity 2442 and the Butterick 5983. It's hard to choose just one! Thank you for ALL your help!

      Delete
  2. Can you wear a fascinator instead of a hat? That will help with the hair issue. Or, you wear the kind of (smallish, jaunty) hat you just keep on your hair all day, and don't take off.
    I agree with you about wanting to wear a decent (normal) bra when I wear formalwear. I also like princess seams, it makes fitting easier. I think Butterick 6146 is nice, and has sleeve options.
    I also really like view D of Mccalls 7350, which I want to sew in a nice rayon matte jersey knit, but I've not actually done because ... I never get a chance to wear formalwear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Facinator, what a great idea!
      I love both of the pattern you suggested, I'm trying to decide if I want to wear knit or woven but both pattern are in the running! I haven't worn formal since about 2000! I was 75lbs heavier too so this time should be more fun! Thank for all the suggestions and taking the time to help me.

      Delete
  3. I think your tnt circle skirt or a nice straight skirt, but long, would be good paired with one of your tnt tops in something sparkly and special. Use patterns you are comfortable in, just take the materials up a few notches. Maybe paired with a special trim.

    You might try on hats at an upscale store (if they have them!) just to see what you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered a purple sequin knit from my favorite FabricMart Fabrics and also a silver sequin. Maybe either one of these fabrics will inspire me.
      I may try to go to Orlando one day to look at some hats. Would a department store like Macy's or Dillard be a good start to look for one? I only have a big floppy beach hat!!!! That won't do.
      Thanks so much for ALL your help.

      Delete