A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, August 22, 2016

Simplicity 2539 Jacket

I liked the Simplicity 2539 jacket pattern after seeing the vest version posted on sdbev blog.  She gave high reviews for the vest.

Simplicity 2539
I knew I had to make a muslin because of the kimono style sleeves and the lines of the jacket.  I had to make my usual adjustments.  I am so happy I made the muslin to do a practice run for the pattern sewing.  I was confused, but I worked through it and was pretty impressed with the first outcome.

Simplicity 2539 Muslin
I had to make a sway back adjustment of 2" at center back, tapering to nothing at the side seams.

Simplicity 2539 Muslin Sway Back Adjustment
I didn't add a button but I am so happy that the muslin met at center front!

Center fronts match up!
For my proportion fitting the jacket needs to be 26.5" in length or 30".  I chose the 26.5" for a 2:1 ratio.  I had to shorten the pattern and the pocket pieces 2-1/2"

I love the hidden pockets.  They are so cute!

Pocket
I thought that a suiting type fabric would work nice for this jacket.  I like that the jacket is unlined and I serged all the seams.

The jacket only took 2.5 yards of fabric.  A great price for a jacket $6.75!

$6.75 Jacket
The waffle weave fabric had a small amount of silver thread woven through it.  I liked that the fabric was semi-soft but still had a little hand to it.  It didn't ravel too bad.

Waffle weave suiting fabric
Dear hubby chose the buttons.  I couldn't decide between two and he thought the white ones looked the best.  Classy without being too much.

Simplicity 2539 Jacket

Simplicity 2539 Back View

Kimono Style sleeve

Buttons & buttonholes
Aren't these pocket too cute.  Hidden in the curved seam, just waiting to have something tucked away in them...........

Pocket

Overall I give this jacket pattern a B, maybe even a A- if I could think of another fabric choice this would be good for.  I will keep this in my rotation and I think it would look nice with my white ponte knit sheath dress.


Simplicity 2539 Jacket
I am thinking I need a dress soon...............

Until next time..........

Bonnie

4 comments: