A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, May 28, 2012

Pickling Weekend

This weekend we have made over 45 jars of pickles.  We've made dills, relish, bread & butters, watermelon rind, and half-sour pickles.

Half-sour pickles are a fermented pickle that takes about a week to make.  They are my favorite type of pickles.  They are easy to make.  I re-use 2 gallon pickle jars.  I pack in as many young pickling cucumbers as I can fit into it.  I add 1-2 crumbled bay leaves, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 whole peppercorns, 1 tbsp dried dill, 1/2 tbsp dill seed, 3 tbsp course salt and boiling water to fill.

Cover with a cloth and store in a dark place for a week.  Everyday skim off the foam on top.  Today was day number 3 and I noticed that the jar was boiling.  The fermentation process is at work. These pickles take no vinegar, no sugar and no packaged pickling spices.  All natural!

Day one- half sour pickles

Day three half sour pickles
I always called these pickles Jewish pickles.  I craved them with Boy F when I was pregnant.  I can't wait to taste them.  Only 4 more days to go!

Pickling Weekend
I have done some sewing this weekend too. I take some pictures and get to that later. 

Until next time.....

Bonnie

1 comment: