I ordered the Sure-Fit Designs Kit. Shipping was super FAST! I'm glad because I was excited to get started. Good thing Girl M was home to help me measure myself. It only took a few minutes to get going on my blueprint.
Making a blueprint of your body is real wake-up call! I know I'm curvy, but I'm also lumpy, bumpy, sloped, swayed and bent!
Muslin #1, bodice blueprint. Don't mind the washers, my top kept wanting to ride up.
The first draft was easy and the muslin fit surprisingly. Only minor tuning with the fit I think. I did a sway back adjustment and fixed the width of the bodice at the underarm and the sleeve.
That sleeve is too tight when I lift my arm.
Third muslin is almost a great fit. It seems that my bust is too big. and the sleeve bicep is a little too tight. After looking at the photos I pinched a dart at the shoulder tapering to nothing at the bust. It brought the sleeve head up and made the sleeve hang much better.
I plan on changing from a DD dart to a D dart. Since there is so much fabric at my apex.
The back isn't too big, but I think I need a little more room in my hip area. I lengthened the bodice so that this version won't ride up as much. I need to work on the hip area.............
The top is a little better and I think that I'm getting closer.
|Muslin #4 side view|
I am really starting to hate waist darts. I don't think they flatter my figure. Neither does woven fabric. I'm trying not to get discouraged. I'm going to take a break for a few days to clear my mind. I think I just want to sew something that fits.
5 Dress bodice muslins later I'm taking a break. Maybe I'm overthinking all of this fitting. Maybe my shape isn't a dress bodice type body............
I'll keep you posted on any progress.
Until next time...............