A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sewing Simplicity 8893 Pattern

I chose the Simplicity 8893 pattern from 1978 for a nice cool summer top.  We live in Florida and it gets HOT here.  I thought that I would just make the top version to start with. 

Simplicity No. 8893 Pullover Dress or Two Piece Dress in Half Sizes vintage sewing pattern c1978
"Top V1 or dress V2 with self drawstring thru shoulder casings has V neckline and elastic waistline casing. Skirt V1 with elastic waistline casing and dress V2 have pockets in side seams."

Back view of pattern package

Instructions
The instructions were E-A-S-Y!  I love how simple they are to read.  The pattern pieces were all there and they were marked with the difference seam allowances too.  I used this green and white checked fabric as a muslin. 

I cut out the size 22-1/2.  I am going to down a size.  It is loose and comfortable but I think the back is a little big.  I also didn't realize until I was almost done how short the top is.  I have a tummy (after 3 kids & a husband who can cook!) that I like to keep hid.  I added 12" to the bottom, flaring slightly at the outer edges to give my hips ample room. 
Checking to make sure it's all there


Laying out the pattern pieces.  See my weights that sweet hubby got for me at Lowe's.


Finished top on the headless seamstress

I fudged a little on the placement of the waist elastic.  I tried on the top, then lifted my arms up and marked my waist.  I thought that it would give me enough room that the elastic wouldn't slip up too much.  When I added the 12" extra piece I used a 1" seam allowance and made a casing from that. 



Drawstring shoulder close-up

shoulder/side view
 I love the drawstring shoulders.  I am not sure about a big bow on my arms though.  Maybe if I just shorten the strings and tack the ends at the end at the length I want then I won't have to worry about the strings touching/tickling my arms.
back view
The fabric is a little stiff, so I will be looking for one with a little more drape next time.  I am thinking of either a linen or gauze fabric. This pattern is a definite keeper.  I might even wear the muslin version with either a denim skirt or a pair of white capris.

I have a vintage green bead necklace that will look cute with it or maybe a daisy pin.

I hope you enjoyed.

Until next time....

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment