A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, May 13, 2019

McCall 6073 Dress

I'm trying out a new pattern!  The McCall 6073 crossover top dress. 

McCall 6073
I'm getting low on knit fabric in my stash to use for a muslin.  I used 2 yards of a mesh type ITY knit and 1/2 yard of a scrap piece for the bodice back.  I read the reviews on the waistband only being in the front. 

I cut out a straight size 18 and I wasn't disappointed with the fit.   The overall pattern is great.  It sews together easily and all the notches and pattern pieces match up.  I give this pattern a B. The only thing I didn't really like was the V in the back and the way the binding looked.  But the binding looks good on the front.

I wanted to make this pattern muslin in a solid fabric so that I could see the fit better than with a print.  Boy what an eye opener!  The crossover isn't bad, it doesn't reveal too much but it could use a dart pinched out at center front to make it a little tighter to the chest.  The crossover makes the girls look a little low. 

The waistband is nice but I feel it's a little too wide, it wants to fold over itself.  The skirt length was perfect.  I'm not a fan of the skirt gathers concentrating at the center front and back.  Maybe distributing the gather over the entire skirt would look better on me.

McCall 6073 Dress

Side View
The back is probably the worse part.  I'm not a fan of the back V.  You can see my spare tire!  The bodice back needs about 1" removed from the center pinched out to bring the skirt up a little.  

Back View

Back close up

I may make the pattern adjustments and re-make this in a print to help camouflage my lumps and bumps.  But overall the pattern isn't bad I just need to work out!  But that takes away sewing time!  LOL!

Until next time.....................

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. I agree, the gathers would look better spread out. But nice job! Isn't it funny how such a slight difference in cut changes how the back looks? I think this could be a pretty staple for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete