A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, May 17, 2019

Knit Cardigans with Shoulder Pleats

This pattern hack  is the McCall 6844 I've had in my stash for years.  I don't know why it's taken me so long to sew up this pattern again.  I am in need of some simple cardigans to wear over sleeveless dresses.  I love the shoulder pleats on this pattern.  I made the sleeves 3/4 length.

I used 1-1/2 yards of a poly/lycra/cotton ITY Knit Maggie Longon from Fabric Mart Fabric that was in my stash.  $6.00 cardigan!  The fabric has a polyester crepe feel.  It's ok but I prefer a softer & stretchier ITY knit.

Knit Cardigan with Shoulder Pleats

Side View

Back
I cut strips of the Pellon EK130 interfacing 1/2" and ironed on along the edges.  I turned and top-stitched to finish the cardigan.

Close-up

Shoulder Pleats
I did have white ITY knit in my stash for this version.  $6.60 for this short sleeve version.  Since the fabric is thin, I layed the front and back pattern pieces so that there was no side seam.  Which meant I had to sew the sleeves in round.  I usually sew my knit sleeves in flat.  But they went in easily and look very nice.

White ITY Knit Cardigan
See, no side seams!

Side view

Side

Back View
Overall I'm very happy with my cardigan hacks.  I think they will become a wardrobe staple.

Until next time...................

Bonnie

2 comments: