A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, February 2, 2018

McCall 6924 Dress

OK, I deserve an Oscar!  For best seamstress acting like she likes:

  1. Sewing a NEW pattern
  2. Sewing with a WOVEN fabric
  3. Sewing something NOT for myself!!
Girl M needs wanted a dress.  We started by looking through drawers of patterns and she picks McCall 6924.  She had picked the same pattern out years ago, actually in 2014  (I measured her but never sewed it up!)  Her measurements changed a little since then.

McCall 6924

I sewed up a quick muslin and knew right away I was going to HATE this pattern.  12 DARTS TOTAL!  Lining!  Hand sewing the lining to the zipper tape, 2 snaps & a slide hook! OMG I HATED this pattern!

She only needed a few minor adjustments to the pattern.  The underarms needed to be raised 1" because her bra was showing and it was a little big in the waist/hip area.  I went by her measurements and cut the pattern from a size 14 at the top to a 18 at the waist and hips.  But she was a straight size 14 in the end.

I didn't interline the fabric but I did line it.  She chose a blue floral print fabric of a polyester feel.  I used a dark blue lining fabric for the lining.  I didn't use the hem facing and horsehair braid.  Everything was going along smooth UNTIL........

I went to sew up the side seams.  Something wasn't right.  In the end I had to just make due and I serged the fabric and lining together at the sides then sewed the seams.  I made it work.  Believe it or not the easiest part of this dress was the invisible zipper.  It went in easy and looked great.  

I probably have almost 20 hours in this stupid dress!  

Then Girl M. got home from school and tried it on AND...................

SHE LOVED IT!  
All smiles!

Front View

Back View

The smile on her face made me feel a little bad about HATING this pattern.  It was a little short for my preference. (Daddy won't let her wear it to Church).  She loved the cut-out at the back of the dress and all the darts.  

I may reconsider looking at the pattern again but not soon (unless Girl M. ask). 

I'm most proud of myself for the fit and finishing this dress no matter what!

Thanks for listening to me vent!

Until next time.................

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. The dress looks great on her and all your hard work paid off. 12 darts-OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's happy? Score one for you. Looks darling on her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perseverance paid off. Nothing like the smile of a happy child. 12 darts and a lining and all the other details would have thrown me into a panic too. Maybe she could wear it with a jacket or sweater to church--it's such a pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also find that sewing for others always seems to take way longer than sewing for me. So stressful! But you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks gorgeous in it! Beautiful job! Good mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS where do you purchase all your beautiful ITY knits?

    ReplyDelete