A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Laundry Powder

I have a new friend that has some goats and is trying his hand at making goatmilk soap.  I am lucky that he brings me shavings and samples of his soaps.  I use them to make my homemade laundry powder.  I traded him some fresh eggs too! Currently his soap is unscented and I like that.

We are a family of 5 and we do a lot of laundry, about a year ago I decided to make my own laundry powder and I have never looked back.  We like to experiment with what ever bar soap we have on hand or that is on sale.  That is why I am so excited about my new friend's goatmilk soap.


Girl M. helping with homemade soap

He gave me about 5 cups of soap scraps that I put into my food processor to chop up alittle more. I added 5 cups of Washing Soda and 5 cups of Borax.  Put it into my recycled coffee creamer containers and we are ready to wash!



Goatmilk soap scraps

I tried some scented bathsoaps from a discount store.  The soap was made with olive oil and had a nice fragrance to them.  The soap was like a brick, so the kids had to grate it first then add to the food processor. 

Boy F. grating soap
 I added the washing powder, borax, soap and some oxyclean to this batch.  The good thing about making your own laundry soap is that you can mix and match whatever you like.

Scented olive oil soap
I found an old canning jar with a rubber seal for this batch,  It makes it look like sand art.  I use about 1 oz for each load in my front load HE washing machine.


Finished Laundry Soap
 Until next time.....

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment