A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Simplicity 2372 Jacket

 I started with the Butterick 5467 and made a muslin.  I just wasn't feeling it.  It might have been my fabric or my sewing.  But something wasn't working for me.  So I dug a little more in my pattern stash and found the Simplicity 2372.  I made another muslin.  Much better.

Butterick 5467




Butterick 5467 Muslin

Too much fabric around my neck and above my chest area.  

Neckline

Two piece sleeve

Overall I like this jacket pattern and I think I may use it in the future but it wasn't what I had in mind.  

I only had to made a few minor fitting adjustments.  Sway back adjustment and add width at the hips.

Center back seam

The Simplicity 2372 jacket seems to be more of what I had in mind.  I like the raglan style sleeves and the one button closure.  

Simplicity 2372

My muslin isn't very flattering but I am really liking this jacket idea.  I only had a few minor alterations to do to this.  



I wasn't sure about the sleeve pleats but I'm really liking them. Between 4 pleats and a shoulder dart the sleeve hangs nicely on the shoulder.

Sleeve pleat

I like the center back pleat.  No sway back adjustment needed here but I am thinking of shortening the jacket by 1"

Center back pleat

After wearing the jacket around the house for a little bit, I decided to lower the armhole 1" to make movement a little easier. 

Center back & sleeve pleats

My inspiration fabric was a recent purchase from FabricMartFabrics.com.  Of course!  Since Fall colors don't look best on me with my hair color I thought the coral, gray, black & white was a good choice.

Simplicity 2372 Jacket 

Sleeve pleats

The fabric sewed together beautifully. Like it was meant to be this jacket.  I serged the seams to prevent from fraying.  

Back pleat

A button from my stash.

Button from stash

Facings always give me a fit, but this one went in perfect, layed flat and looks so nice!  Yeah me!
I interfaced the facing pieces with Pellon EK130 knit interfacing and then serged along the outside edges.

Inside/Front Facing

Inside Back/Facing

Serge hem

Back/Inside facing

Inside/Front Facing

I am thrilled with this jacket.  It's lightweight enough for Florida Fall and easy enough to sew up in a quick minute.  I think this pattern will be a TNT pattern for me.

Sunday Selfie

This is the only picture I took of me wearing the jacket.  Since my Sunday photo taker (Girl M.) works on Sunday, Dear Hubby and I have to try to take our own photos.  We're not good at it at all!

Until next time...............

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Love the new jacket! The colors are great on you and the pattern has such nice features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I have a few more versions in mind. I hope to get to them sometime soon. Happy Sewing!

      Delete