A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, October 5, 2020

Memory Ties

 I had a lady contact me to see if I could make her some memory items from her late Father's necktie collection.  I've never sewn anything like that and since it was a no rush job I thought I would give it a try.

She sent me Pinterest photos of a clutch, a purse and pillows.  Sounds easy enough.  Here is what I was able to come up with.



Lots of neckties


Clutch

Inside/Lined clutch

The larger purse was a little trickier. I made the strap from leftover tie pieces.  I also added an interior pocket to the lining and a magnetic snap closure.

Purse

Lined with magnetic snap

Interior with pockets

I made two pillows since I already had the pillow forms in my stash.  These were probably the easiest item to sew up. I also added an invisible zipper.  Can you see it?  LOL!  The ties are on both sides of the pillow.

Memory Ties Pillow #1

Memory Pillow #2

There were 7 ties that I really couldn't use in the other memory items because they were directional.  He was a Preacher so I saved all the ties with Bibles, crosses, etc to use in a memory frame.  

Memory Frame

There were still many ties leftover so I thought a Christmas Tree skirt would be nice.  This project got heavy quickly.  It must weigh 15lbs!  But I think that this is my Favorite memory item yet.

Extra Ties

I liked this stitch 

The skirt is over 36" in diameter.  It's huge & heavy.  

Christmas Tree Skirt


The lady liked all the items but asked could she send the Christmas tree skirt back and have me make an additional 5 clutches!  OMG!  Nowhere in her brief text did she say she wanted multiple clutches. I had no plans to take the tree skirt apart so I just bit my tongue and made 5 more clutches.  

Since I did not have the original clutch here for measurements & I was scrounging tie scraps for these 5 clutches I had to make these clutches smaller.  It is what it is.  Designers choice?

5 more clutches


I think I am done sewing for other people.  My new word is NO!  If I can say it to my kids, I should be able to say it to strangers.  Right?  I've asked Dear Hubby to help me with my new resolution of saying No.  

I really want to sew "me" something.....................

Until next time...........

Bonnie 



7 comments:

  1. They are all beautiful. I hope she paid you well for your lovely work. I have seen where if you mention the going rate per hour for a seamstress it tends to put people off, if a direct "no" is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. No, she hasn't paid. The final kick in the butt. I should have known better. Live & Learn. I think I'll stick to sewing for myself!

      Delete
  2. You are a lovely person! That tree skirt was gorgeous and your memory frame so special. I hope she appreciates your craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so beautiful! How very clever of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special. I particularly love the memory frame. I learned NO a long time ago. There are people I will sew for and most that I just say no to. My problem is that I fret too much over things being perfect for other people, then I shut down and don't enjoy what I am doing. Plus there are those that take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you my twin? I do the same thing, I think my sewing isn't good enough and I fret way too much and end up being miserable. I think I'm going to stick to sewing for ME! Thanks for being my cheerleader!

      Delete