A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, January 7, 2019

Missoni Flame Stitch Sweater Vest

Girl M. wanted a long vest.  She liked this Missoni look flame-stitch sweater fabric I had in my stash for a while.

Missoni-look flame-stitch sweater vest

Would you look at those matching flame-stitches at the sides.  Who did that??? This gal! 

Side View

Back View
 I just winged a pattern.  Something simple with a 1/2" turned back seam along the armcyce and along the front and around the neck.  I stitched a 1" bottom hem.  The fabric sewed up beautifully and I used a regular 3.0 straight stitch.

Missoni-look flame-stitch sweater vest

Fabric Close-up


$5.70 Vest
I sewed this sweater vest before January so I am not counting this towards my fabric stash use.  I also have one other item that won't be counted.

I finally had enough of my closet being so packed that my clothes were starting to get wrinkled and I went through my closet.  It's one of the hardest task for me because I make 95% of my clothes.  There were quiet a few items that were way too big, and many that the coloring just didn't look good on me.  Overall I purged almost 1/3 of my clothes & 1/2 of my shoes.

Before

After

I did keep this denim shirt.  When I first bought the shirt over a year ago it was snug on me.  Now it's almost too big but the biggest problem I had with the shirt was the length.  I ended up removing 5" from the hem length.  The shirt is now PERFECT!  I love the fit from the knit panels on the sides.

Sorry for the wonky shirt on my dress form, I was in a hurry because Dear Hubby had a steak on the table for dinner!

Denim shirt Fix

Back view

Side knit panel

Wardrobe staple
I can't wait to wear this shirt more often.  I think I may want a black and white striped skirt and maybe some type of floral skirt............I'm heading over to Pinterest!

I have an interest in some projects and think I may need a heavy-duty sewing machine.  Now my Brother machine is fine for garment sewing but I think I may need something stronger for sewing vinyl and leather.  I've always wanted and industrial walking foot machine but it's out of my budget.  I'm thinking of buying a  Necchi 3250fa (never used) from Craigslist for $100 but I also saw the new Singer 4432 or Brother ST321HD for about $200. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Until next time..................

Bonnie


3 comments:

  1. Nice pattern matching and great save shortening the shirt. Most of all impressed with the shoe and clothing reduction. I bet your wardrobe feels so much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, My wardrobe now feels like I actually have "something" to wear. I do have a few missing items that I need to work on like a black cardigan....why don't I have one??? Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  2. I second Ruthie on being impressed at being able to get rid of clothes that you have sewn . I find it tough but once they are gone I rarely miss them. Have fun filling in the gaps - personally I think a black cardy is essential.

    ReplyDelete