A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, May 14, 2018

Derby Day Fundraiser

At the last minute I pulled a dress out of the air and sewed it up in an afternoon.  Why do I do that?  I think it's because I have so many ideas swimming around in my head that I don't want to commit to just one and then what IF it's not good enough?

I used my TNT Simplicity 7103 princess seam dress for the bodice, since it was already a perfect fit and my TNT 3/4 circle skirt pattern for the skirt.  I took in the side seams about 5/8" so the dress was a little more fitted and I used horsehair braid on the skirt hem.

Derby Day Fit & Flare Floral Dress

Princess seams
I bought the fabric from FabricMartFabrics.com on sale. It reminds me of a scuba type knit.  The total for this dress was $8.97!

$8.97 Dress

Fit & Flare Floral Derby Day Dress

Dear Hubby & myself
It was 87 degrees on the day of the event with 99% humidity.  It was held outside at the Polo Field Pavilion but luckily in a covered venue.

This was Girl M's first event she was able to attend with us and making her dress was so much fun.  I used her favorite TNT dress pattern Simplicity 1612 with a polka dot jersey knit.  This pattern looks so good on her.

I added to a hat she already had for a 40's classy vibe.  She received so many compliments on her outfit and her "look".  She said dressing up was fun.

Simplicity 1612 Knit Dress
I modified the skirt pattern making it longer and adding a little more width.  I used horsehair braid trim on the hem making it ruffle as she walked.  The dress had beautiful movement when she moved.

Girl M's Derby Day hat
My favorite photo of the whole day.

My beautiful Girl

Classy 40's Look

Wildflowers


Girl M & myself
After all these years of trying to fit a fit & flare dress to my very curvy figure I don't know why I didn't think to just hack two of my favorite dresses into one.  I plan on making more from this pattern hack in the future.

Until next time..................

Bonnie


8 comments:

  1. What a pretty family. Your hat and dress was breathtaking. Handsome hubby. Beautiful daughter! You truly are blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your dresses, and that they will work nicely for church also. Such pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could not have done better. They are perfect dresses and hats for the event. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete