A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, June 12, 2017

Simplicity 7176 Top

I did it!  I used a NEW pattern to sew up something that wasn't a TNT or a knit!  I thought the Simplicity 7176 for woven would be a good place to start.
Simplicity 7176

View A
I started looking at view "B" but changed my mind to view "A".  A little less fuss with no collar.  My muslin worked out well.  I had to add my usual 1" at bust, 3.37" at waist, 5.75" at hip, along with adding 1" to lengthen.

I like the darts in the back.  I didn't add a waist tie, too 1990's for me.

The muslin was a little stiffer fabric than what I planned on using.  Circumference wise, the pattern fits.

Simplicity 7176 Muslin
There are some diagonal wrinkles under the arm to the shoulder blades.  I'm thinking those are because it's a kimono style sleeve and thicker muslin fabric.

Simplicity 7176 Muslin-Back View
The fabric I found to sew this pattern up is so nice.  It doesn't wrinkle, and sewed up beautifully.  I did notice that the front of the top is a little shorter than the back.  Must be because of my bust.  I lengthened the pattern front 1" and the back 1".  I forgot to lengthen the pattern facing piece but I made it work.

Simplicity 7176 Version 1 Leopard Print

Simplicity 7176

Side View

Back View
 The top is wearable and very comfortable.

Since I can not just make a pattern once, I thought a black version would be a wardrobe basic.  But no luck on a solid black woven fabric that I thought would work.  So my next choice would be a white one.  I found a crinkle off-white fabric in my stash.  The fabric has a nice weight to it.  I only had 2 yards and not quite enough for the facing pieces so I used a similar crinkle fabric that was thinner.

I lengthened the front piece another 2" at center front and I remembered to lengthen the facing piece too!

Simplicity 7176 Version 2 Off-White Gauze Top

Back View

Close-up Crinkle Gauze

$13.49 Top

I just happen to find 5 buttons in my button jar that were the same too.

This top should be a wardrobe staple since I didn't even have a white top in my closet and because it's breathable for the HOT summer here in Florida.

I'm going to work on Simplicity 2660 for my next pattern.

Until next time....................

Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. That top looks really nice in a drapey fabric, a good fit considering there aren't any bust darts. Did you simply add 1" to the width of the front pieces? In the past I had a top/skirt set from Orvis that was a navy blue rayon crinkle fabric identical to yours, it cost more than $13.49. ;) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I added 1" to the length to make the top longer. It hit me mid hip, I like mine just a little longer.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting out of your Tried and True zone. I hope that means your DH is getting a little better so you get to focus for longer periods of time. You have had so many wonderful events lately.. good to see you are still fitting in some adventures for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I do miss my TNT patterns. Yes, dear hubby is improving, he is finally mobile with a cam walker boot. I see much more sewing time in the near future!

      Delete
  3. I like both tops, Bonnie. I think the white crinkle gauze fabric one looks great on you. I hate it when I forget to adjust the facings.

    ReplyDelete