A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, June 19, 2017

Simplicity 2660 & Update on Hubby

I often look to Pattern View for tips and hints on sewing up a pattern.  I could only find 3 reviews for the top/dress versions of the Simplicity 2660.  I like the top/dress and also the jacket.

Simplicity 2660

Simplicity 2660

I'm going to start with the top version.  My least favorite job is cutting out the pattern.  But I've started using my rotary cutter and it goes a lot faster.

After looking at this pattern I think I have made similar pattern in the past...........oh well, I'll just carry on.

I had to make a few alteration before even getting started.  Being large busted I realized the pattern top from shoulder to under bust is only 12"!  This 5" too short!  I lengthened the back and front 5", I also had to enlarge the circumference of the sleeve.  15" was NOT enough for me, I enlarged it by 4".
The waist was increased by 1.75" and the hips by 3.875".  I may take the hips in after a fitting.


I used a dusty pink floral cotton fabric that I had in my stash.  I probably won't wear this color anyways.  The cotton was very thin, I think from being 7 years old.  But a good muslin fabric.

Simplicity 2660 Muslin

Simplicity 2660 Muslin

After trying on the muslin, I was very disappointed with top.  It did fit me circumference wise......that was the only good thing.  After a few minutes in front of the mirror I went through Peggy Sager's LCD fitting tips.  The Length was too long from shoulder to empire/waist.  I pinched 1" at the bust all the way around.  It brought up the raised waist seam perfect. The Circumference was fine.  The Depth was ok too.  I could use some type of dart at the shoulder to the sleeve underarm but since it's a kimono sleeve I decided to just leave it.  Overall the top is growing on me.

I thought that this navy blue print woven fabric would make a nice summer dress.  So I lengthened the skirt part.
Simplicity 2660 Blue Dress

Simplicity 2660

Simplicity 2660

This pattern is growing on me.  I like how easy it was to sew up.  The fit isn't bad either.  I just am not a fan of woven fabric.  I'm going to wear this dress as a housedress since a few of my other ones are looking pretty bad.  I'll let you know how much I like it after a few wears.

Update:

Ok I have to admit, I've worn this dress two times this past week and I really like it.  It's so comfy and very light.  I think on the next version I may just gather instead of pleat at the center front.  But this is a keeper!

Update on Dear Hubby:

Last Friday we had an appointment with his Orthopaedic Doctor.  They took the usual x-ray and said all was looking good.  They cut his cast from knee to toe in 5 sections but left it attached and sent us to a Prosthetics office to get a walking boot.  BUT..................the office was closed.  After calling another office they said we had to get pre-autorization from our insurance before our appointment.  It was now late Friday afternoon and Dear hubby was MAD!

Cut cast
The cast kept pinching his leg and ankle so he had Dear Daughter to cut it off.  Either way with or without a cast he was immobile until he had something on his leg/foot.

Post Cast Foot (a little scaly)
He was glad to get to soak his foot.  It has been two months since it has seen water!  His scar on top of his foot looks good.  A lot of dry skin but it all came off after a few soaks.

Letting his foot breath!
Monday came and still nothing from the insurance company, they told us it could be another 48-72 hours.  Then wait for an appointment from prosthetic office..............No way was he waiting!

I called my Mother who lives close to Orlando and sure enough she found an Air Walk Boot.  After picking it up and meeting us halfway, Dear Hubby is up and about!

He said that the bottom of his foot feels like walking on needles.  A little extra padding on his heel and some on top of his foot at his incision site and he is off and walking again.  I can't keep him down now.

The Prosthetic office called Wednesday to fit him for his "prescription" boot so we went ahead and went to see if there was any difference.  No money out of our pocket so it was pretty much a learning class.  But I'm glad we went because the boot is a high one.  Almost to his knee.  We learned a lot, and now he has two to get around with.

He has 8 weeks of wearing the walking boot, then hopefully he'll get released to return to work.  Maybe now that he's mobile, he won't be as bored around the house.

I'm going to try to sew up something.................

Until next time................

Bonnie








2 comments:

  1. The dress is lovely! I really like the fabric you chose and it looks so cool and breezy. I'm glad your husband got his boot without too long of a wait, good to hear he is up and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment. I'm really thinking of sewing another version soon. This is a go to dress during our hot-humid summer here in Florida. Dear hubby is up and about and I can't keep up with his whereabouts now!

      Delete