A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, February 22, 2016

Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Knot Dress-Muslin

Ok, I promised I would try new patterns this year.  Well why not start out with a BIG challenge?

I purchased this pattern the first of the year.  I don't know why except that the waist knot intrigued me.  I can't find a review on Patternreview.com nor a blog that may have reviewed it. 

What was I thinking?

I'm going to just have to take it step by step.  Slow, methodical, step by step......


Butterick 5416
 Just to add a little more stress to a NEW pattern, this one is suggested for wovens.  I'm going to make it in a knit!

How wild am I?

Those are some wonky pattern pieces.


Butterick 5416 Pattern

Of course I had to add a little here and take a little away there.  But all in all it wasn't too bad.  I had to lay out the pattern pieces to visualize what pieces when where.


Butterick 5416 Pattern pieces

I like to use a drying rack to keep cut pieces sorted.  I used blue painters tape to let me know what side was the "right" side of the fabric.  Sometimes the tape stays stuck but most of the time it comes off!



Butterick 5416

I had to mark pieces with painter's tape to keep things straight.  It's coming together, slowly!


Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Dress

Starting to look more like a dress.  With the lining and the dress it is VERY heavy.  I may have to rethink the lining part.


Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Dress

I used fabric from my stash, I must have had it for a while.  Nothing I'm going to cry about if it doesn't work out.


Stash fabric used
 
 
Well, the dress turned out pretty good.  There are a few things I plan on doing differently.  I'm not sure if I will finished this version.  The dress is sooooo heavy!  It must weigh about 5lbs. 
 

 
Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Dress

The lining didn't stretch as much as the dress it's self so the fit is a little snug.  Definitely need some spanx! 

Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Dress

I really like the silhouette and the style of the dress.  I can't say if it's a favorite since I haven't worn it except to try it on and peel it back off.


Butterick 5416 Orange Knit Dress-Back View

 Oh, by the way, I met my Mother for lunch and stopped by a thrift store and look at these beauties I picked up for $.25 each.


Thrift store finds
 
 
Some things I plan on changing for the next version of the Butterick 5416 dress.
 
  1. Twill tape on shoulders instead of clear elastic
  2. Making the darts look a little better
  3. Serge more seams
  4. No lining
  5. Decide on neckline finish
 
I hope to get started on another version soon.
 
 
Until next time................
 
Bonnie
 


No comments:

Post a Comment