A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, June 3, 2019

McCall 6073 V2 Knit Dress (I Couldn't Let It Beat Me)

I just could not let this pattern beat me!  I threw it in the trash after posting about it.  Then I had second thoughts on the dress.  I hung it in the sewing room for almost a month.  It kept bothering me that it beat me.

McCall 6073 Muslin

McCall 6073 Muslin


 So finally I had enough of it taunting me so I fixed the pattern and  made up a second version.  I'm so glad I did because I LOVE IT!

The pattern needed a little help to work with all my lumps and bumps but in the end it was all easy fixes. The pattern work I did was:

  • Took a 1/2" pleat at center front neck tapering to nothing at armhole (tightening the crossover)
  • Added 1/2" curve to crossover (for a little more modesty)
  • Took 1/2" pleat at center front waistband tapering to nothing at sideseams (waistband was too wide for me at center front)
  • Sway back adjustments of 1/2" at center back (helped raise the waistband in the back)
  • Changed the back V to a regular high scoop back.
  • I kept the skirt but distributed the gathers all along the entire skirt not concentrating them at the centers.
I had this border print fabric in my stash forever and thought it would make a beautiful version of this pattern in a maxi length.  It took me almost a day to cut this out because I wasn't sure how to place the bodice pieces on the little bit of fabric I had leftover after cutting the skirt first.

McCall 6073 

McCall 6073 

Side View

$10.49 Maxi Dress


This is probably one of my most favorite sews.  I'm not sure if it's the pattern or the fabric but in the end it was a great choice for both.  

The directions for this pattern are easy and the dress sews together quick.  I didn't us the bias binding for the neckline on this version I just used my usual turn and topstitch.  I also didn't use the elastic at the waist.  I only realized after making the second version that it was there.  I didn't need it because the waistband fit me perfect.

I can't wait to wear this dress, I says Summer to me!

Until next time.............

Bonnie


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie. I have been catching up on your lovely blog. You are making quite a lot of beauties there. I' m glad you are keeping on sewing to match your body shape and congratulations on that and successfully tackling this latest dress successfully. I have gained some weight and that was making me feel blah about sewing but I am tackling some projects and getting bsck into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went back to it! I have this pattern and was thinking about trying it for summer. I would love to see modeled photos of the successful dress!

    ReplyDelete