A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, March 25, 2016

Vacuuming My Sewing Machine?

I have been thinking of purchasing a small handheld vacuum cleaner to clean out my sewing machines.  I've seen one in the Nancy's Notions catalog but I decided to look on Amazon to see what was out there.

Believe it or not, I used to sell vacuum cleaners.  I worked at a Janitorial Supply business that also sold Vacuum cleaners, did repairs and we also sold swimming pool chemicals, did repairs and  serviced pools.  Talk about ALOT going on in a tiny little office!  When the kid's were little I used to tell them I sold toilet paper!  They didn't think it was as funny as I did! 

Back to cleaning my sewing machines....  I do my best to use my little paint brush an sweep out my machine about one a week or two.  But I'm thinking a little handheld vacuum would suck up the lint and fuzz better than just sweeping it onto the table and under the machine.

I have a micro attachment set that would work with the vacuum.  The bad is that is weighs 6lbs and is 15"x7"x7".  That's almost double the size of the one from Nancy's Notions.  I really don't need the brush roll and stair cleaning/floor cleaner area in the front.

But now that I went over to the Nancy's Notions website I really like the little vacuum they offer!  It's sooooo tiny!

With its powerful suction capabilities and attachments, clean-up couldn't be easier. 5" x 9"; 6-1/2" high. 3 lb. 15 ft. cord.
  • Hand held vacuum with round hose and attachments
  • Vacuum measures 4-1/2" wide X 8-1/2" long X 6" high
  • Does not require bags; dust cup can be emptied
  • Cord measures 15'
  • Includes four attachments:
    • Flexible hose; 27" long
    • Upholstery brush: 2-1/2"L x 4-3/4"W
    • Dusting brush: 1-3/4”W" x 3-1/4" L
    • Crevice tool: 1"W x 4-3/4"L, and brush tip: 1"W x 1-1/8"L
  • Includes instruction manual with directions, diagrams and troubleshooting
  • 600 watts, 120V/ 60Hz
  • Weighs approximately 3 lbs.
  • 90 day warranty
Oh yeah, I also need a bottle of machine oil.  My last bottle was over 20 years old and one morning I found it on the floor in the sewing room.  SOMEONE must have knocked it over when they came in to get something off of the shelf.  Well I spent the whole day mopping and cleaning machine oil.  Now my sewing room has the smell of a genuine sweat shop!


My Mother gave me two extra long rectangle table clothes made from muslin!  They are perfect for my sewing table.  I had black felt on the table top but it would catch my fabric and every thread stuck to it.  Spring cleaning and a little "new to me" table covers.  It's all good!

I'm off to buy a vacuum, some oil and a new Stretch Twin needle I just broke!

Until next time.................

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie - glad to see you posting on your blog again - hope all is well on the home front - let us know how you like the vacuum once you try it out. Best wishes, Beth in AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you. This has been a crazy month with Spring break, birthdays and just life in general! Thanks for stopping by & leaving encouragement!

    ReplyDelete