A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fall Sewing #1 Butterick 5571 Blue Floral Nightgown and Robe Set

I needed a new nightgown.  Of course I had to sew a matching robe to go with it.  It's all from a thrifted sheet set I had in one of my storage bins for a few years.  I love nightgowns from a cotton sheet.  They sew up so nice and they don't tug, or pull or twist during the night.  They may wrinkle a little, but hey, they are sheets.

I used my TNT Butterick 5571 pattern for both the nightgown and the robe.  In place of  gathers at the neckline of the gown I used four pleats.  The bias tape for the neck and armholes is made from the same fabric.  I serged the shoulders and the side seams of the gown. Easy as pie!

Butterick 5571 Blue floral nightgown

I used my rotary cutting machine to cut my bias binding strips.  I could have just used my rotary cutter and my ruler but sometimes it's fun to use a different tool.  This machine is easy to use and I made more than enough strips since you can get carried away using it!

Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine

My iron got a little too close for comfort to my rotary cutting machine.................. OOPS!

Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine
The bias binding sewed like a dream.  I cut bias strips since it would be going around the neckline.
  
Nightgown bias binding on neck

Nightgown bias binding on armhole
For the robe, I didn't use the robe pattern provided in the Butterick 5571 envelope, I used the gown pattern, placing the center front along the grain.  I turned under 1/2" then another 1" for the front tab. 

I used the top hem of the sheet for the bottom of the robe, making a border along the bottom.  I sewed bias tape along the neckline, making long ties so I can just tie the robe at the neck or use the buttons.

Butterick 5571 Nightgown Robe Set
I cut the sleeves from the matching pillowcase.  The cuff at the sleeve being the decorative hem edge of the pillowcase.  The sleeves match the hem of the robe.

Butterick 5571 Nightgown Robe Set

Blue buttons from my stash
  I had these pretty blue buttons in my stash that were made just for this fabric!

Blue Buttons
I love the hem along the bottom of the robe, it's so pretty!

Robe bottom hem

Back view of robe
I will be making another set soon, but I have a million other projects screaming at me right now!


Fall Sewing List:
  • Drape neck tank tops
  • Sweater wrap top
  • Cardigans
  • Denim Skirt
  • Sleeveless Button down shirt
  • Princess seam sheath dress
  • Liz Claiborne stripe vest
  •  Solid maxi dresses ¾ sleeve
  • Something with fringe
  • Nightgown with matching robe
  • Red dress with a leopard jacket/cardigan
I have a lot of items I am wanting to sew up.  So glad that the kids will be going back to school next week!  More sewing time!  AND Dear Hubby is going to night shift, so that will free up time in the evenings for MORE SEWING! 

Wish me Luck!

Until next time...........................

Bonnie 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This is a very pretty set. I can't believe that it's a sheet. I'm still trying to finish up my summer sewing (working on DD2 luau skirt right now) But I want to start making my fall list. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments.
    I'm doing my best to get to my fall sewing but It's so hot here, that summer sewing keep calling my name. (Maxi skirts, breezy tops, tank dresses, etc!). I love using sheets for muslins too, but especially for sleepwear. Sheets in queen & king size are great for full circle type skirts and I can get a whole plus size dress from a twin sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely set and looks comfy. I am a fan of using sheets for garments, I have a few dresses that I have made... however never thought to use for sleep wear... you have me thinking. ... Great idea.

    ReplyDelete