A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Monday, June 4, 2018

Sure-Fit Designs Bodice and Skirt Blueprint

Last year I started my body blueprint from Sure-Fit Designs and ended up getting so frustrated that I  couldn't get a decent fit.  I think loosing 60lbs and gaining a little more knowledge of fine tuning fitting made a huge difference this time.

No person's body is "normal" and mine is very lumpy, bumpy, curvy and swayed. The only part that really gave me a fit this time were the sleeves.  I decided to use my armhole & sleeve template to save myself from too much headache.

  • Shorten shoulder length by 1/2"
  • Sloped shoulder adjustment 1/2"
  • Sway back adjustment  1"

Bodice Muslin

Side view

Back View

Front View

For the skirt part:  Since there was a 15" difference from my hips to my waist I added an additional dart to the skirt front and back making the hip curve less drastic.

For this "muslin" of my bodice and skirt blueprint I added a seam allowance at the center front so that I could get the pieces on and off.

Skirt


Back View

Front View

Top & skirt

 Bust Darts
Back Skirt Darts


Overall I'm very happy with the fit of both the bodice & skirt.  The bust darts are at the correct place and the second waist dart on the skirt helped with the difference between my waist and hips.

I can't wait to get sewing an actual garment.  But school is now out and Girl M is home with me.  She wants me to swim with her and go shopping so I enjoy the times I get to spend with her.

Until next time.............

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Always a happy moment when you have clothes that fit - one of the reasons I love sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for persevering with Sure Fit. I gave up and never got back to it. Probably should but have so many other things I want to do. Enjoy summer with your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with garnet128. I bought the Sure Fit package with high expectations--and failed miserably--even after watching the videos. After three tries, I moved on. Keep saying I will go back and try again, that was at least four years ago. lol. Anyway, you seemed to get a good fit. Congratulations! Enjoy your children while you can. They grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete