A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

New Look A6180 Shirt Dress for Memorial Day!


I bought the New Look A6180 pattern a few months back and have wanted to make this dress since I first saw the pattern out.  Once I started my usual fitting measurements I noticed that there was 7-1/2" of ease in the chest area and waist!  That is A LOT of ease!  The lady on the cover picture does NOT have that much ease with her dress!
New Look A6180 Shirt Dress Pattern www.sewplus.blogspot.com
New Look A6180 Shirt dress
Doesn't this model look like Taylor Swift?
 

So I put the pattern away and made a note of the excessive ease, then on Thursday night I realized I didn't have anything patriotic or even red or blue to wear to church on Sunday.  I pulled out the pattern again and did my usual (Fitting Finesse with Nancy Zieman) changes to the pattern.  I only used 3" of ease in the bust area and waist and 10" in the hips.

I received so many compliments at church on the dress.  I am planning to make it again and I am thinking I will only make 2" of wearing ease on the top.  I now am a size 18.  On the second try I am thinking a straight 18 with my usual hip adjustments will work just fine!
New Look A6180 Shirt dress front view www.sewplus.blogspot.com
New Look A6180 Shirt Dress Front View

Fabric Close up


I really like the fit of the dress and I love the back yoke.  The collar gave me a bit of a time and I do feel a little like Elvis when I wore it, I think I will just have to get use to it.  I may even put pockets in the next version.

New Look A6180 Shirt Dress Back View www.sewplus.blogspot.com
New Look 6180 Back View

The matching fabric belt needed to be interfaced.  I wore it Sunday morning to church and by the time it was over the belt had crumpled into half it size and twisted like crazy.  I am thinking that a little structure to the belt will help a lot.

The sleeve design were really cute.  It perked up the otherwise plain sleeve.

New Look A6180 Shirt Dress Sleeve www.sewplus.blogspot.com
New Look A6180 Sleeve View
I am going to make a muslin of the second attempt to try to remove some of the ease of the bodice I had to lower the armcycthe? 1-1/2" to fit for the sleeve increase.

Until next time....................


Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment