A blog about my adventures in sewing & crafting

Friday, August 16, 2019

Oh, How I've Missed You!

School started back this week and things are starting to get back to normal!  I love taking care of everyone but when the last one leaves the house by 8:20 in the morning I just take a deep breath, get my chores done & spend the rest of the day in MY SEWING ROOM!

Girl M. First Day of Senior Year!


I finished the alteration on 5 of the 6 dresses I had on my sewing table.  One dress I decided after about an hour of trying to unpick the hem to just make another dress.  I did a good job stitching the hem.  I feel like I need more light to see small things, I just had an eye exam in April. 

I did finish Boy AJ's Just Hangin' Out Shirt after starting three buttonholes incorrectly.  After unpicking them the rest of the shirt finished up quickly.  No picture because Boy AJ was happy with the shirt and took it home right away!

I ordered a new LED light for near my ironing station.  With my dimming eyesight I needed more lighting.  It's near the fabric storage so I can see colors a little better, see the ironing board better & can move the light if I need too also.


Verilux Original SmartLight LED Floor Lamp Full Spectrum Energy-Efficient Natural Light for Reading, Artists, Crafts Dimmable - Adjustable Gooseneck Task Light

I sewed McCall 7324 top.  Well, I should have read the reviews before I started because I ended up throwing it away.  It was bad, real bad!


What is up with this collar?

Excess fabric above the bust

It's ALL BAD!


I wasn't going to let that mess with my sewing mojo so I made a TNT straight skirt.  I had to re-work my Sure-Fit Designs skirt pattern.  I had to remove 2-1/2" from the waist and 3-3/4" from the hips!  An easy fix and the skirt sewed up beautifully. 





I like the skirt with the McCall 5668 Silk Shantung jacket I made for Easter. 

McCall 5668 Silk Shantung Jacket


I wanted a gray skirt and this stretch suiting fabric worked out perfectly.  I have enough left over to make a matching jacket. 

On Mondays I give a young girl from Church sewing lessons.  We've had about 4 lessons so far & she's a great student.  She's so eager to learn.  She started out bringing me a Vogue dress pattern to sew with her.  It was beyond her sewing abilities but we worked on the skirt portion and reading the pattern.  On her own she finished the skirt, added elastic at the waist and wore it to Church this past Wednesday.  She also made herself a purse and a few pillows.  This past week I tried to think of something easier for her and she came up with the idea of an apron.  We almost finished it during her lesson and she wanted to take it home to finish it during the week. 

I hope things are back to normal here and I'll be able to spend hours in my sewing room again.

Until next time................

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. I love that jacket so much. I just realized this is the same fabric I was recently looking at on the Fabric Mart web site. I don't know what I would make out of it but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jacket fabric sewed up beautifully and pressed very nice too. It's light/med weight and would work very nice for a jacket or lined dress. It was a great purchase.

      Delete